Need to know about powdercoating something

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
Dead10

I am looking into getting this but i would need it powdercoated black. anyone know if it can be done & where in MN?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

thanks
Dead10
Focal_Nutz

One of my buddies gets all stuff for his bike powdercoated from some guy downtown....I will try and get that info for ya....
PBZX3

This guy posts on the AARRF website. He does powder coating at a very reasonable price. Here is one of his posts.

Hey ya'll,

Just want to let you know that powdercoating is a hobby of mine. I can't do real big stuff *yet*, but I can do valve covers and wheels up to 15" for now. It's fun, looks great, and best of all, I'll do it for super cheap. I've got a heated garage, so I invite ya'll to swing by, talk cars, and we'll powder coat some stuff over a few beers.

I'm trying to get a website set up for this stuff, and when I do, I'll just post a link, but for now, you can email me @ fried_rich@hotmail.com

When I say cheap, I mean like $20 for a valve cover, and like $75 for a set of rims (powder coat technologies in plymouth is $200 or more for a set of rims). I don't like doing prep work though, so if you bring the stuff in ready to coat (i.e. sandblasted, stripped, and clean) I may cut you a deal.

Prep Work is extra, as some wheels can take up to 3 hours to properly prepare for powdercoating. Since some wheel companies take the alloy wheel, cover it with a filler that's easier to get a perfect shape out of, and then coat that. I need to go down to bare metal again to get a proper coating, which means lots of elbow grease going into every piece. I can glass bead blast some parts, but some coatings won't come off with that method. Prep for a set of rims can cost up to $75. So if you want to coat your rims, I suggest you prep them yourself to get it done faster, otherwise it can take me a few weeks to find the time to prep them, while a straight coating I can usually get done within a week or so.

I can't personally vouch for him because I haven't used his services but worth checking out.
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle