Help out a newbie

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
Ronin

I'm looking into getting a Focus, and was wondering what I should look for, and stay away from as far as options and years and such. I don't know if I'll be able to swing the cash for an SVT, but definitely a ZX3 with a 5 speed. What years are better/worse? Are there different motors in the ZX3 that I should be aware of? I'm going to modify, but only as cash allows, and reccomendations on cheap parts for that too? But lets start with getting a car and go from there. Thanks guys

Ronin
Dead10

Welcome,

Are you going to get new or used? As for what options to awayfrom depends on tastes. There isnt any year to watch out for just make sure if you pick up as used one that all the recalls are done. Not to scare you away with recalls but any car you buy now a days you should have checked.

There are only two engines you can get in a zx3 a 2.0 zetec 00-04 or a 2.3 duratec 04-Up. There is alot of aftermarket parts for the 2.0 but the market for the 2.3 is just starting to boom

Hope it helps.

Dead10
PBZX3

I own two 2001 ZX3 5 speeds with the premium and power option packages. One I bought new the 2nd one used. I like the 2001 because I believe Ford had the mis-timed cam thing figured out by mid 2001. Both mine in stock trim were very strong engines.
You should be able to pick up a used 2001 with under 50,000 for between $5000 and $6000. I paid $7000 at a dealer for the used one I bought with 32,000 miles. That was last October so there are deals out there. Be patient and shop around on the internet. That's how I found mine.
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
Ronin

so what's the better motor? The 2.0 or the 2.3? My modification list will be fairly small to start, intake, etc... but what's the stronger motor to start? It will be used, and I was looking around tonight on Car Soup and the like, there are some deals to be had out there. Thanks again for the help guys!
Dead10

What motor is better? Depends on who you ask.

The 2.3 out of the box has more hp/tq and has responded well to intake and exhaust mods.

Your going to be spending more for a used 2.3 then a 2.0

Dead10
iamgod
has seen the light

you gotta find a used 2.3 first...or you can buy my 02 2.0 zx3 for 10k mods include diablo chip FC short shifter K&N FIPK 65mm tb Crower II cams Magnaflow exhaust Progress Springs...replacing cracked header with stock parts...header is weldable!
trahma
has a blownup bomb
Car: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

A 2.3 will be impossible to find around here used. If you're willing to go to Cali, PA, or NY you may have better luck.

As far as which year, I would get a 2002 because it was the first year that had zero recalls. The 2.3 though seems like a more solid motor, and responds extremely well to bolt ons.
focus 1269

Hi Im new too. but i got my 00 focus last year and no problems yet. i got the zx-3 five speed and love it. and on the plus side i think it looks better than the sedans.
FOCI

sedans are much better than zx3 get a sedan.
iamgod
has seen the light

bah more weight hatch RULEZ :lol:
trahma
has a blownup bomb

FOCI wrote: sedans are much better than zx3 get a sedan.

Yeah but we don't need to add anything for added rear downforce.. :twisted:
FOCI

ok I should have expected something like that. I took alot of pcp that day it sounded like a good idea. Anyone here that doesn't like the idea of a focus with altezzas, fart can, and bombz wing isn't able to see real beuty. :oops:
Focal_Nutz

FOCI wrote: ok I should have expected something like that. I took alot of pcp that day it sounded like a good idea. Anyone here that doesn't like the idea of a focus with altezzas, fart can, and bombz wing isn't able to see real beuty. :oops:

Hey My old car was quite the looker....hahaha...I had the altezzas rocking it and the 5 Zigen Exhaust.....That was a piece of art I tell you. Everyone looked and stared. No one does now with my SVT. * sniff * sniff, I will always remember the sedan. * sniff * sniff

And no mentioning of illegal drugs.....Oh wait we're not on Focaljet. we can talk about that stuff here. hehehe... In that case, Blunts for all!
umdivx
Car: 2007 Ford Fusion SEL AWD

I have a sedan, and love it, get a sadan, more room and the weight difference between a zx3 and sedan is like a few hundred pounds so there is no real gain there, also WTF are you all talking about down force for on a front wheel drive car? a FWD car does not need rear downforce, doesnt need some shitty huge ass ricer wing, and doesnt need some shitty alteza's, simplicity is beauty.... do suspension, wheels, tires, intake, cams, ect, maybe a body kit but leat the fart bomers, and wings for the 16 year old kiddies
trahma
has a blownup bomb

umdivx wrote: I have a sedan, and love it, get a sadan, more room and the weight difference between a zx3 and sedan is like a few hundred pounds so there is no real gain there, also WTF are you all talking about down force for on a front wheel drive car? a FWD car does not need rear downforce, doesnt need some shitty huge ass ricer wing, and doesnt need some shitty alteza's, simplicity is beauty.... do suspension, wheels, tires, intake, cams, ect, maybe a body kit but leat the fart bomers, and wings for the 16 year old kiddies

Actually a few hundred pounds is a decent bit... as far as the rear downforce comment, foci used to have a rear spoiler. Had you been to the last meet, you would have known this. And becides, when you bought your car weren't you talking about getting altezzas? 8)