Engine Noise!! HELP!

For your Ford Focus related discussion
sk8tr5955
Car: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3

Ok so i noticed this sound coming from my engine the other day. It sounds like fast tapping. I had someone look at it and they said it sounds like its from the valve train. Any thoughts? Any ideas how much it will cost to fix? I haven't noticed anything different in the way it runs. :? :?
2002 Liquid Grey Focus ZX3, K & N Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full SVT Suspension, Custom steel short shifter, Tint
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Is this a new noise? Whens the last time you checked/changed the oil?
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Do you have a manual trans?

If so it sounds like good old ford clutch chatter could be the cause...
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Steve@Tasca
Midget

You're in my area I believe so if you're really worried we could arrange a time to look at it.

Or just have one of the techs peek at it while you're at work.

sk8tr5955

I'm actually having them tear into it right now...it's not the clutch I know that and I just changed my oil a bit ago...it's at the right level as well
2002 Liquid Grey Focus ZX3, K & N Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full SVT Suspension, Custom steel short shifter, Tint
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

roller follower fell out. 8)
Image wink wink.....bitches
sk8tr5955

Turns out it's something with the top idler....? Does that sound right? There going to replace that the timing belt and some coolant hose that's leaking for around 950.... Good deal or can I get it done cheaper elsewhere?
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Not a horrible price, but not great either.

It's probably around $200-250 for parts.

And my guess would put it at about 4 hours of labor, give or take an hour (for a shop anyways, normally charged at $100/hr).
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Holy crap, is that employee labor rate?

iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

I'd not pay that much. Sure one of us would do the work far cheaper.
The timing set is roughly $100 last I checked and I can't see a coolant hose costing more than $30 (though I bet it's the water outlet housing and not a hose leaking).

Toss me some money and I'll do it for you. PM me if you wish I'm laid off right now so I have plenty of free time.
--John
frankjt96
Car: 1995 F-150, 83 GTI

iminhell wrote:I'd not pay that much. Sure one of us would do the work far cheaper.
The timing set is roughly $100 last I checked and I can't see a coolant hose costing more than $30 (though I bet it's the water outlet housing and not a hose leaking).

Toss me some money and I'll do it for you. PM me if you wish I'm laid off right now so I have plenty of free time.
Help him out 8)

Send him your work.

I may send some work to you. I'm tearing apart an 83 VW GTi, I haven't completely gotten to the motor yet but if the bottom end is bad would you like to rebuild it for me? I know it's got a new head, so the bottom end may be good but you never know....
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13
sk8tr5955

That is the employee labor rate they said its around $1800 for normal customers. I would go to you but I cant afford to pay it all at once. My boss Greg said that i don't need to pay once the job is done and we will work out a payment plan. So.....thats the only reason I'm going through ford. If we can work out a payment plan then let me know i would be glad.
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

frankjt96 wrote:
iminhell wrote:I'd not pay that much. Sure one of us would do the work far cheaper.

Help him out 8)

Send him your work.

I may send some work to you. I'm tearing apart an 83 VW GTi, I haven't completely gotten to the motor yet but if the bottom end is bad would you like to rebuild it for me? I know it's got a new head, so the bottom end may be good but you never know....

Not sure you know what I do. I'm not a mechanic nor a machinist. I just tinker for fun and if someone needs some help I'm always available. Nothing more. I have a very high mechanical aptitude though and if it's a zetec it second nature to me.
... and I will never touch a VW. I hate them with a firey passion.
--John