Need new rotors...what all does that involve?

For your Ford Focus related discussion
ScottyK
Can't remember what he drove to work today
Car: 2005 Liquid Grey Focus ST

So, I am thinking about buying and installing some new "slotted/drilled" rotors....if I do that and have them installed,...do I have to get different calipers and brake pads too?? Or can I just get the rotors? :?

Does anyone know the best place to get some inexpensive sporty, quality rotors for my 2005 ST??

ebay?
Monkey-Gein
Car: 2007 Black ZX5

i don't think you'd create enough heat to warrant the need for rotors. if you do get them they will eat your pads. i do my brakes on a schedule and the drilled ones i had ate them up so quick they started grinding with no warning and got ruined,
A friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so Yeah."
07 zx3 partout viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4607
ScottyK

They damage the pads you have? What's their point then? :? :shock:

Well, I am looking to upgrade my rotors and pads at least, b/c I am installing SVT springs as soon as I learn how to paint them and I want to do it all in one install.

Thoughts?
ZX2_racer
Car: Pitch Black 2007 ZX3 S

I'm no fan of drilled rotors, simply because I doubt you will ever get the brakes hot enough to where they would be effictive. Slotted rotors, on the other hand I think are nice, and even have a bit of a bling factor imo. I would go to Focaljet and poke around to see what people have used ofr set-ups. I also recommend swapping pads at the same time to some Hawk HP's.
Eibach | Tokico | Ford Racing | Magnaflow | F2 USA | Steeda | Crane
Monkey-Gein
Car: 2007 Black ZX5

slotted rotors are a bad idea too. those are designed toy shave of the layer of glazing when the pads get hot. they prolly do change the braking power, but thats just cause you always have a fresh pad serfice, hence again shorter life.
since you're not racing this and just want better braking. do steel braided brake lines and upgrade to ceramics (i've been told to upgrade to better rotor too). that is my plan but i am waiting for my stock rotors to go bad.
A friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so Yeah."
07 zx3 partout viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4607
~DVST8R~

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

there is a good set right there for a good price.. you prob wont push the car hard enough to use the full benefit of the rotors, but it is kinda a nice bling factor. i have had both slotted and cross drilled before... they didnt cut down my brake pad life... drag racing did. lol
Last edited by ~DVST8R~ on Wed May 06, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frankjt96
Car: 1995 F-150, 83 GTI

It's your car, modify it the way you want.
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13
~DVST8R~

i forgot to mention in my last post if you do get new rotors... you want new pads to go with them
ScottyK

I give up on this. There are too many options out there to upgrade rotors and seemingly none of them are worth the extra $$$$.

I am going to spend my next bit of upgrade $$$$ on something else and just put new stock rotors and brake pads in the back. :?

Thanks for all the help....it's just too confusing and I think I would rather do extra's in another way instead.
Louis Zerr
and so it lives.

http://64.202.180.37/files/focus.pdf

That's for BAT Inc. they sell brake kits of all sorts. from dimpled to slotted and dimpled and slotted. The prices are reasonable and that is who i buy all of my brakes from.
Slower than your stock focus.
ScottyK

So, jrscteg (or however it is spelled) has a complete rear SVT brake setup for sale. I am going to buy it...but I just want to get opinions and make sure....Will the complete rear SVT setup fit my ST? :o