How to Clean Up Used Cams?

For your Ford Focus related discussion
Dead10

I got a set of used Crowler Stage1 cams and they have alittle bit of rust on the lobe. what should i use to clean that up? or should i leave it?

also what type of cleaner sould i use to strip all the oil gunk off them before install them?

thanks
Dead10
Louis Zerr
and so it lives.

a basic parts cleaner/degreaser should take care of both of these issues. You shoud be able to get that at any car parts store; i saw some at Menards the other day. That should get rid of the rust (has a lubricant i believe) and degrease in one step. Some people use gasoline for the cleaning, but that may not do very well with the rust issue, do not use a wire brush or anything abrasive to remove that rust. I am sure others will chime in as well. Good luck!
Slower than your stock focus.
PBZX3

If the rust isn't too deep you can sand it with some 1000 grit sand paper. Note the number of zero's. 1000 grit. Very very very fine.
noresull

If the rust is deep, then I wouldn't even use them...

If it is just surface rust, just use brake/parts cleaner to clean the entire camshaft, and install it. everything will work out! :)
2005 ZX3 SES Winter package and Audiphile package
2000 ZX3 CD Silver. Esslinger UDP, Diablosport Chip, S2 Wheels springs and dampers, SVT front bumper
Dead10

At first glance its just surface rust. I will swing by the parts store tonight

Thanks
Dead10
Dead10

Dead10 wrote: At first glance its just surface rust. I will swing by the parts store tonight

Thanks
Dead10

Well after a close look its not rust its burnt oil. cleaned right off with a tooth brush and brake cleaner.

Now on for my next question. I am going to call crowler monday but do any of you know how to tell what cam is the intake and exhaust cam?

also what so you guys use as assembly lube? i have been told oil will work just as good as some assembly lube. is that true? i was thinking of using redline assembly lube.

Dead10
noresull

You can use any assembly lube. I would use it over oil, just to be on the safe side.
PBZX3

Not to be an ass but it's Crower not Crowler. No 'L'. :wink: