transmission flushes?

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
dartfork

Hey, a friend with a 99 sable asked me if he should get a transmission flush on his 99 sable with 100k. I heard that 99 was the first year Ford got the trannies to be dependable on the taurus/sable. So, my inclination was to tell him, don't do it. But if the transmissions are good, it couldn't really hurt either, right? I'm wondering what some of the professionals and others more well versed in automatics might have to say before I give any advice.
So:
Flush or no-flush?
Thanks
Doc
Car: to many to list

flush, the entire car, buy something worth owning. :lol:
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

Regardless of Doc's opinion about Taurus', there are several schools of thought re: transmission flushes. Keep in mind that it is difficult to totally flush a transmission (including the torque converter). Since there is no good way to drain all of the fluid, you need to have a lengthy flush to get everything out. Think of a gallon pail of dirt water. How long would you need to run clean water into that pail before it is sufficiently flushed that you would feel safe about drinking it? Not exactly a 'green' process!
Anyway, here are some of the approaches to transmission maintenance:
1) Do not change the fluid unless it seems burn or contaminated.
2) Change the filter only and replenish the fluid every 100,000 miles or so.
3) Drain the tranny only (not the torque converter) and replace the filter every 100,000 miles or so.
4) Flush the tranny/torque converter and change the filter every 100,000 miles or so.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Most shops now have transmission flushing equipment that does completely change the fluid.

We have a 2000 Sable, it's not pretty but it runs great and drives just fine. It may not be perfect but it's better than any GM or Chrysler product from that period of time.

Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

Word!! If the trans shifts good and does not have overly burnt fluid or large amounts friction material in it you should flush it. Flushing the trans just once can double the service life of it. Our climate and cummute style puts us in a harsh duty or heavy duty zone. Flushing every fifty to sixty k is the best. I would say every seventy five. A flush will never fix any thing,it is to keep things from happening. If a shift concern is present it will only agitate the situation. 8)
Image wink wink.....bitches
dartfork

Thanks for the info guys. I'll relay it.