2004 with 2.3

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
Doc
Car: to many to list

I'm looking at a 2004 Focus with a 2.3 in it. I know the 2.0 dual overhaed cam is a good motor, but don't know anything about the 2.3. Are they reliable? Milage any differant than the 2.0? Any input would be good.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

It's just a slightly larger version of the 2.0, as reliable as any other Duratec.

The only semi common issue I'm aware of is oil consumption but it's not an epidemic or anything.

-Steve
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

That's a rare car......

I'd love to have an 04 2.3 car.
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Steve@Tasca
Midget

I had one, traded it in with 6000 miles on it for my (then) 42,000 mile SVT.

harold
Car: '06 BMW 330i

I was looking for one of those when I was shopping for my car. Then I found one a month after I settled on the one I got.
Focus: singular
Foci: plural
Not interchangeable
Steve@Tasca
Midget

The 2004 2.3 cars were also PZEV cars and had really nice gearing, you could cruise smoothly and easily at 90mph all day with those things.

Try that in an SVT and you'll vibrate the fillings out of your teeth.

-Steve

focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:The 2004 2.3 cars were also PZEV cars and had really nice gearing, you could cruise smoothly and easily at 90mph all day with those things.

-Steve
? . Mine seems fairly smooth at any speed. The only issue is my hockey puck motor mount sends .......sum........nvh into the cab. I would look into that sir, it should feel nice and composed at any speed.

I have seen only random issues with focuses...er...foci. just springs and the little ground at the batt terminal. The rear shocks are junk from the git go. The svt kit fixes that up and gives a great ride. I dont see too mqny loose front end parts just bent ones, such a tiny outer tie rod end and they dont go bad. The focus is the shit when it comes to small cars. Oh wait, intake valves seem fairly common on the early duratecs. Cylinder one seems the most common. Valve ticking. Tic tic tic tic tic tic tic.
Image wink wink.....bitches
Steve@Tasca
Midget

focinite wrote:
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:The 2004 2.3 cars were also PZEV cars and had really nice gearing, you could cruise smoothly and easily at 90mph all day with those things.

-Steve
? . Mine seems fairly smooth at any speed. The only issue is my hockey puck motor mount sends .......sum........nvh into the cab. I would look into that sir, it should feel nice and composed at any speed.

I have seen only random issues with focuses...er...foci. just springs and the little ground at the batt terminal. The rear shocks are junk from the git go. The svt kit fixes that up and gives a great ride. I dont see too mqny loose front end parts just bent ones, such a tiny outer tie rod end and they dont go bad. The focus is the shit when it comes to small cars. Oh wait, intake valves seem fairly common on the early duratecs. Cylinder one seems the most common. Valve ticking. Tic tic tic tic tic tic tic.
I'm talking about engine vibration and high revs, you can't tell me an SVT is silky smooth running at a steady 4000 rpm. It's a buzz bomb and you know it.

A 2.3 PZEV Duratec on the other hand runs much lower revs at the same speeds due to gearing and it's smoother overall due to the balance shaft.

There is simply no comparison.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong woth mine, it's strong and feels very solid but it's wound up pretty tight on the freeway at speeds over 80.

-Steve

Doc

Thanks for the input (about the 2.3). I did win the bid today, it's only got 49,000 miles on it so hopefully it's in good condition.
focinite

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
focinite wrote:

-Steve

I'm talking about engine vibration and high revs, you can't tell me an SVT is silky smooth running at a steady 4000 rpm. It's a buzz bomb and you know it.
A 2.3 PZEV Duratec on the other hand runs much lower revs at the same speeds due to gearing and it's smoother overall due to the balance shaft.
-Steve
one, stop yelling at me, it makes me feel bad. And B, i missunderstude you im sorry. My car has a very good nvh canceling system......twenty six hundred watts of anti road noise technology. :lol:
Steve@Tasca
Midget

That wasn't yelling, THIS WOULD BE YELLING :lol:

focinite

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:That wasn't yelling, THIS WOULD BE YELLING :lol:
I dont like it when mommy and daddy talk loud at each other! At lest they aint as bad as the zx2s, i have watched a dash blurr it was shaking so hard. And thats at idle!!!
asside from the thread jackin, doc i hope your find turns out good. For the most part if it was a maintaned car it should be qlright.
Doc

I took a couple minutes today and fired it up, sounds nice. I couldn't help but notice on the surface it looks like an 05 up 2.0. So, what's the main diffrance between this 2.3 and an 05 up 2.0? Does this 2.3 take the same air filter as the 05- 07?
Patalrob
Borlatap
Car: 06 Wagon, 02 SVTF, 00 ZX3

The head is what makes up for the .3 liter. The rest is the same.
00 ZX3 "RattleTrap"
06 Wagon Doggy mover
95 Chevy Silverado Tow rig for lawn mowers
02 SVTF ...........