Rear splindle bolts and brake cables

For your Ford Focus related discussion
harold
Car: '06 BMW 330i

I was trying to pull my rear spindles tonight to see what's up with my hand brake, but I've got a rounded bolt on each side. I've got a couple spindle nuts on order so I can just pull the drum, but I was wondering what the best way to take care of that is. Is it going to require pulling the whole knuckle (requiring new bushings and bolts all around, I'm sure) and drilling them out? Anybody BTDT?

Also, the hand brake cable itself moves freely, but the little stub that goes into the knuckle is frozen. I'm guessing I screwed something up when I did the brake job, but one side is broken and it looks like the other is not far behind. Are those parts available separately? I noticed they didn't come with the cable I bought for my wife's car.
Focus: singular
Foci: plural
Not interchangeable
bflesher

You can try pounding on a smaller size socket on or use an air hammer and chisel the bolt head off.
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

best is to grind the bolt head off,. this way when the spindel is off you can have a bit of stud to heat red hot and turn out with vice grips. 8)
Image wink wink.....bitches
Steve@Tasca
Midget

If the hand brake isn't working it's likely the cables, fairly common on these cars especially in our climate.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
harold

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:If the hand brake isn't working it's likely the cables, fairly common on these cars especially in our climate.
Well, it quit working very shortly after I replaced the shoes. It's possible I disturbed some gunk that was already in there, but I think it's likely that I reassembled stuff wrong.

As for the bolts, I'm not even really sure how I'd get a grinder or air chisel in there. I had a hell of a time getting the sockets in there to try with my impact. I know it'd be a different angle, but it still seems nigh impossible. I do need to replace the rear springs, so maybe that'd give me a good angle on it. I'll give it a shot.
Not interchangeable
Steve@Tasca
Midget

harold wrote: Well, it quit working very shortly after I replaced the shoes. It's possible I disturbed some gunk that was already in there, but I think it's likely that I reassembled stuff wrong.

As for the bolts, I'm not even really sure how I'd get a grinder or air chisel in there. I had a hell of a time getting the sockets in there to try with my impact. I know it'd be a different angle, but it still seems nigh impossible. I do need to replace the rear springs, so maybe that'd give me a good angle on it. I'll give it a shot.
Just don't try to unbolt the lower control arms when you do the springs, unless you want to replace the control arms as well that is.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
harold

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
harold wrote: Well, it quit working very shortly after I replaced the shoes. It's possible I disturbed some gunk that was already in there, but I think it's likely that I reassembled stuff wrong.

Just don't try to unbolt the lower control arms when you do the springs, unless you want to replace the control arms as well that is.
Yup, I remember that from last time. I just don't have the internal spring compressor (and a chunk of pipe for a spacer) right now, so I'll be tackling that another day. To give you an idea how long I've been sitting on this, the springs I'm putting in are your old ones. I think I've had them for about 4 years now.

I did get the front control arm replaced tonight. What a PITA those bolts are.
Not interchangeable
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

swivel sockets and extentions will get the rear part. air ratchet for the control arms. or a big ass ingersol 1\2 inch, i have spapped those bolts before.
Image wink wink.....bitches