six speed g treg fluid

For your Ford Focus related discussion
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

the las time i seviced this six speed the fluid was some exotic syn manual trans fluid , i think it was made from gold and merr. now every were i go they tell me its merc 5? was this updated?
Image wink wink.....bitches
Steve@Tasca
Midget

focinite wrote:the las time i seviced this six speed the fluid was some exotic syn manual trans fluid , i think it was made from gold and merr. now every were i go they tell me its merc 5? was this updated?
NOT merc 5. :?

Ford XT-M5-QS full synthetic transmission oil.

Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
focinite

well your guy , it sounded like mike(not sure what his name is but i know the voice) it wasnt the older gentle man that races the sprint cars, and the parts specilast at north country and and every after market parts guy and the charts at work say merc 5. i put it in there and have put like 50 miles on it with no problems. but the synthetic trans oil is what i remember puttin in last time. how much for that. i will drain the atf out if its gonna cause prollems. oh while im here i am rolling on 70k you know what i want. 8)
focinite

wow im a dick. sorry the last post reads bad. i am still woundering if merc 5 is the wrong thing as i trust you first. but it shifts so slick at 7 grand as were before i needed to pause or it would grind. only on the one two up sfift.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

I'm telling you that the correct oil is the full synthetic XT-M5-QS but just because I deal with more SVT and Focus owners in general than any parts man in the country doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about :-P

I told you what to put in there so if you want to trust Mark and run the wrong oil that's up to you. :?

focinite

well then the boy and i will make a trip out there on thurs.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

focinite wrote:well then the boy and i will make a trip out there on thurs.
Sounds good, I gave Mark the manual transmission fluid lecture yesterday as well but at his age he's probably already forgotten :lol:

oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:I told you what to put in there so if you want to trust Mark and run the wrong oil that's up to you. :?
The great Oz has spoken! :lol:
All kidding aside, there is no end to recommendations by people re: lubricants. That's why there are websites such as http://www.bobistheoilguy.com and others. I collect antique outboard motors, and there is fierce discussion about what two stroke oil to use. The old motors ran 24:1 (or richer) straight 30 wt non-detergent oil, and some people INSIST that is the only way to fly. Others use modern two stroke oil using the same 24:1 ratio. Still others use modern two stroke oil using a less-rich ratio (32:1 or 50:1). Who is right?
As I see it, there are three primary considerations:
1) Use any lubricant that meets the API rating. HOWEVER, there may be some products that work better than others - even though they may have the same ratings.
2) If you choose option 1, I would be very suspicious of these little snake-oil companies. Most likely they do not have the engineering resources to assure that their products are a) sufficient, and b) won't harm your car in some way.
3) Defer to the most knowledgeable source, like Steve and FoMoCo. This would be my first choice.
My 2¢.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
focinite

so at 50 dolllars to fill my trans with the fluid made from holy shit! what kinda damage am i looking at if i stay with merc 5. both are synthetic both have awsome lubricity good heat tolerance . the qm-liquid-unobtainium-wallet or what ever seems a bit thicker , but what is in the gear oil. the atf is compatable with the carbon synchros? right? yeah i know "do what you want ". great now i am having a panic attak. :shock:
Steve@Tasca
Midget

How often do you change the transmission oil?

Mine has been changed once, right after we did the clutch and yes I said after because in doing the clutch we didn't lose one drop of trans oil, none, zero, zip, nada. 8)

I changed the oil about a week later at around 110,000 miles.

Remember the old Contour MTXs? Remember all the synchro issues those had? Back then the specified oil was Mercon.

Your choice.

Redlineracer12
I is speshul
Car: 00 Contour SVT

That's my feelings as well, I don't change my tranny fluid more than once every 50k miles or better. So I would rather just spend the money on it once and put at least what is recommended for it. If I had a getrag tranny I'd be even more particular since they're so hard to find parts for.
3 Fords, 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha
focinite

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:How often do you change the transmission oil?

Mine has been changed once, right after we did the clutch and yes I said after because in doing the clutch we didn't lose one drop of trans oil, none, zero, zip, nada. 8)

I changed the oil about a week later at around 110,000 miles.

Remember the old Contour MTXs? Remember all the synchro issues those had? Back then the specified oil was Mercon.

Your choice.

eie point made. i fergot about those nasty things. yeah.
focinite

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:How often do you change the transmission oil?

this was the second.the first was after the swap due to it sittin fer 2 years