I didn't know...

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte
Car: 02 SVTF

Thanks Steve. I won't know anything until I get home next week. And even then, it's going to be Christmas right away, so I won't have time right out.
I never even know about any of this until after it was purchased. All I know at this point is what the add said, and that the motor popped on the way home. I have no clue on warranty from the dealer out in Maple Plane, or anything. If from what I keep hearing on labor costs is true... it;s cheaper to get a new motor from you and do it myself. :lol:
Thanks
I'll try to keep you guys posted on when I'm leaving Ft. Dix here, and on the truck.
spots25

Well now, I would strongly consider seeing what it would take to stick a 4.6 or 5.0 in there, depending on which would be an easier swap. I'll bet it wouldn't be bad at all. A friend of mine put a 5.0 in place of a pushrod 4.0 in his similar vintage ranger.
00' Kona
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte

spots25 wrote:Well now, I would strongly consider seeing what it would take to stick a 4.6 or 5.0 in there, depending on which would be an easier swap. I'll bet it wouldn't be bad at all. A friend of mine put a 5.0 in place of a pushrod 4.0 in his similar vintage ranger.
I think I'm good with the 4.0
PBZX3

Sucks about your relationship with your dad. Must be issues on his end since you seem like a fine upstanding young man.

I had the 4.0 in my Aerostar van. That engine kicked ass but then I only had it to about 70k miles.
Last edited by PBZX3 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Checking car-part it looks like you can get a used longblock for about $600-1000... You'll still be alright, the truck looks to be in decent shape and if ya got it for $2800 + Tax (etc) You're still ahead of the game.....

Yank the old one and pop in a new (used) long block... Drive the shit out of it.
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte

PBZX3 wrote:Sucks about your relationship with your dad. Must be issues on his end since you seem like a fine upstanding young man.

I had the 4.0 in my Aerostar van. That engine kicked ass but then I only had it to about 70k miles.
My dad and I have been at eachothers throats since jr high, and thanks for the compliment.

Pappy wrote:Checking car-part it looks like you can get a used longblock for about $600-1000... You'll still be alright, the truck looks to be in decent shape and if ya got it for $2800 + Tax (etc) You're still ahead of the game.....

Yank the old one and pop in a new (used) long block... Drive the shit out of it.
thats looking like the best option rigt now. but i do need to get home first. "car-part?" car-part.com? idk
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Yea car-part.com It's a database of junkyards.

It's a good way to shop for parts like that, I've used it in the past for findings motors....
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Patalrob
Borlatap
Car: 06 Wagon, 02 SVTF, 00 ZX3

I agree with Nils. That would be then best way to locate an engine, mybe look for one under 50~60,000 miles.
00 ZX3 "RattleTrap"
06 Wagon Doggy mover
95 Chevy Silverado Tow rig for lawn mowers
02 SVTF ...........
Steve@Tasca
Midget

PBZX3 wrote:Sucks about your relationship with your dad. Must be issues on his end since you seem like a fine upstanding young man.

That was the pushrod 4.0, those were bulletproof.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Pappy wrote:Checking car-part it looks like you can get a used longblock for about $600-1000... You'll still be alright, the truck looks to be in decent shape and if ya got it for $2800 + Tax (etc) You're still ahead of the game.....

Did you miss the part about ending up with the same issue he already has? Buying a junkyard 4.0 sohc is like buying a hand grenade that's already had the pin pulled and you don't know when it's going to go off.

First thing is to see what really happened to the one he's got.

Patalrob
Borlatap
Car: 06 Wagon, 02 SVTF, 00 ZX3

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:

Did you miss the part about :shock: ending up with the same issue he already has? Buying a junkyard 4.0 sohc is like buying a hand grenade that's already had the pin pulled and you don't know when it's going to go off.

First thing is to see what really happened to the one he's got.
:shock:
OMG...... You just said junkyard.... Do not say that to an auto "Recycling" yard....

All in all then engine you get can be a good one but are you going to have then same problem?

My theary is you drop a good engine in it and resell it mybe make some profit off it and get yourself what you really want.
00 ZX3 "RattleTrap"
06 Wagon Doggy mover
95 Chevy Silverado Tow rig for lawn mowers
02 SVTF ...........
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte

We will see what happens when I get home.
PBZX3

Here's some potentially useful info on the 4.0 I found at Wikepedia

Currently the only version of the Cologne engine still in production, the SOHC version was introduced in 1997 in the Ford Explorer, alongside the original pushrod version. It features a variable length intake manifold and produces 210 hp (157 kW) and 254 lb·ft (344 N·m)f. It uses a jackshaft in place of a camshaft to drive a timing chain to each cylinder head. Three timing chains are used, one from the crank to the jackshaft, one in the front of the engine to drive the cam for the left bank, and one on the back of the engine to drive the cam for the right bank. Ford Power Products sells this engine as the SOHC-640.[2]

Here's the actual link. It has links to more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine#4.0
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte

differences in 2x4 and 4x4 motors?

found a motor with 33k on it for 950. its in Beltsvile... Baltimore, Md area.

hmmmm...
Steve@Tasca
Midget

PBZX3 wrote:Here's some potentially useful info on the 4.0 I found at Wikepedia

Currently the only version of the Cologne engine still in production, the SOHC version was introduced in 1997 in the Ford Explorer, alongside the original pushrod version. It features a variable length intake manifold and produces 210 hp (157 kW) and 254 lb·ft (344 N·m)f. It uses a jackshaft in place of a camshaft to drive a timing chain to each cylinder head. Three timing chains are used, one from the crank to the jackshaft, one in the front of the engine to drive the cam for the left bank, and one on the back of the engine to drive the cam for the right bank. Ford Power Products sells this engine as the SOHC-640.[2]

Here's the actual link. It has links to more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine#4.0
There's actually a fourth chain that runs the balance shaft.