Stereo Swap

For your Ford Focus related discussion
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

I have the audiophile system in my SVTF, but it doesn't have a USB (or any other) connection for an iPod. I installed a Triptunes connection, and that works okay.
The stereo in my wife's car has a USB port, and the iPod can be controlled directly from the stereo. Plus, it charges the iPod, turns it on and off, etc.
Question: Can I swap a stereo from a newer Ford product into my car and get the USB connection?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Can you?

Probably.

Should you?

Depends on how much you want to spend and how much screwing around you want to do getting it to work.

There is no plug and play option and new Ford head units are VERY expensive. Like in the $600.00 plus range.

You'd also lose the function of the steering column radio controls.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Depends on how much you want to spend and how much screwing around you want to do getting it to work. (As little as possible)

There is no plug and play option and new Ford head units are VERY expensive. Like in the $600.00 plus range.(I'd probably pick one up from the junkyard - er, 'auto recycler')

You'd also lose the function of the steering column radio controls.(Ok, you convinced me. Sounds like it would be way more bother than it would be worth.)
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Steve@Tasca
Midget

oldoutboardjim wrote:
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Depends on how much you want to spend and how much screwing around you want to do getting it to work. (As little as possible)

There is no plug and play option and new Ford head units are VERY expensive. Like in the $600.00 plus range.(I'd probably pick one up from the junkyard - er, 'auto recycler')

You'd also lose the function of the steering column radio controls.(Ok, you convinced me. Sounds like it would be way more bother than it would be worth.)
Besides, I'd think with the music you listen to you could probably get by with a portable Victrola. :lol:
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
zurno
Got any WoW pron?
Car: ZX4x4

probably better off with an aftermarket stereo
Louis Zerr
and so it lives.

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Besides, I'd think with the music you listen to you could probably get by with a portable Victrola. :lol:
Wait, Lou Reed and Metallica just released some new work. Here's the review.
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/159 ... metallica/
Slower than your stock focus.
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Besides, I'd think with the music you listen to you could probably get by with a portable Victrola. :lol:
Yeah, I hear what you're sayin'. But the old Victrola bounces around quite a bit in the back of the SVTF (this ain't no Town Car!). I'm not sure you can get Lawrence Welk on iTunes.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

zurno wrote:probably better off with an aftermarket stereo
One feature I really like about the current stereo is the AVC, which raises the volume as the speed increases to compensate for the engine and road noise (which the SVTF has plenty of).
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
oldoutboardjim wrote:

Besides, I'd think with the music you listen to you could probably get by with a portable Victrola. :lol:
HA!!!!!!!!!!! record player!!!!!!!!!!!that ish is sssoooooooooooooooooooooooo old, like cave paitins!!!!!!!! why not git some wax drums, ohiey!!! edison!!! commeher and bring your 19th centry technology wit cha!!!!! :lol:
Image wink wink.....bitches
dartfork

oldoutboardjim wrote:
zurno wrote:probably better off with an aftermarket stereo
One feature I really like about the current stereo is the AVC, which raises the volume as the speed increases to compensate for the engine and road noise (which the SVTF has plenty of).
Not that I recommend it, but the factory P.O.S. Blaupunkt stereo has this "AVC" function.
tgnorman
Car: 2008 VW GLI

Aftermarket would be your best bet, but you will lose the speed-sensitive volume, but steering wheel controls can be made to work.

The other option could be an aftermarket sound processor, that'd give you a hardwire input, but those are mainly geared towards big audio upgrades when you need to retain the factory headunit (as in factory nav, or a non-standard dash opening).

If you do decide to upgrade, shoot me a PM. I had 3 different headunits in my SVT when I had it, they're absolute cake to wire up.
2008 Bone Stock VW GLI

2004 Sonic Blue SVT ZX3, #1593 of 1978 Born 4/8/04
Stage 2 ported TB, Semi-custom Borla center exit, FSWerks CAI, FS front strut bar, suspension by FR/Multimatic
gone, but not forgotten
ZX2_racer
Car: Pitch Black 2007 ZX3 S

This always bothered me with my car also. I just said screw it and bought CD's. Lol.
Eibach | Tokico | Ford Racing | Magnaflow | F2 USA | Steeda | Crane