ECU Reset

For your Ford Focus related discussion
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

Last week I replaced the battery in my SVTF. It sat ‘battery-less’ for a cupla days, so the ECU reset itself to the default program. Previous to this, I had frequent issues with ‘lopy idle’, almost like I had a high-lift cam or something. When the RPM’s would drop to idle (~900RPM; like when I pushed in the clutch pedal), it would often fall down to near 500RPM, and sometimes stall. Since the reset, no more lopy idle! Cool beans.
Question: Does this mean that as the ECU program adjusts to my driving style, it does something to create the lopy idle? You’d like to think the car would run better – not worse – after the ECU has had a chance to adjust. Hmmm!?!
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Steve@Tasca
Midget

These cars do use adaptive learning, sometimes it's good sometimes not so much because it can pick up bad habits.

I always find that mine runs better after a reset although it made more of a difference when I had a stock tune.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:These cars do use adaptive learning, sometimes it's good sometimes not so much because it can pick up bad habits.
Are insinuating that I have bad habits? I resemble that remark! :lol:
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Steve@Tasca
Midget

oldoutboardjim wrote:Are insinuating that I have bad habits? I resemble that remark! :lol:
Lets just say it's probably a good thing the adaptive learning can't remember to leave the left turn signal on for fifty miles at a time. :lol:

focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

after a KAM reset mine idles like a rally car for like a day -r-2.....bluububububububububububeerrrr blublublublublublublumeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrblu-ablub-ablub-ablub-ablub :lol:
Image wink wink.....bitches
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

focinite wrote:after a KAM reset mine idles like a rally car for like a day -r-2.....bluububububububububububeerrrr blublublublublublublumeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrblu-ablub-ablub-ablub-ablub :lol:
Is your car overweight? Sounds like it has lots of blubber!
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
focinite

oldoutboardjim wrote:
focinite wrote:after a KAM reset mine idles like a rally car for like a day -r-2.....bluububububububububububeerrrr blublublublublublublumeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrblu-ablub-ablub-ablub-ablub :lol:
Is your car overweight? Sounds like it has lots of blubber!
ha dont know i think cus it has teh oe 2002 tune wit no updates .
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

focinite wrote:ha dont know i think cus it has teh oe 2002 tune wit no updates .
Seriously, if the '02 tune is as bad as the stock '04 tune, I would get 'the latest & greatest' tune loaded pronto. My (pre-JRSC) car was a royal PITA to drive (stumbles, couldn't go below 50mph in 6th), but after the updated tune, it ran beautifully.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Steve@Tasca
Midget

His car is a regular ZX3 with an SVT powertrain swap, I think he'd have to pay to get the update and knowing Focinite he'll wait for the tune to fall from the sky before he pays for it. :lol:

Even Fords updated tunes sucked, all the issues with those tunes were cleared up with my tune from Unique though :D

focinite

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:His car is a regular ZX3 with an SVT powertrain swap, I think he'd have to pay to get the update and knowing Focinite he'll wait for the tune to fall from the sky before he pays for it. :lol:

Even Fords updated tunes sucked, all the issues with those tunes were cleared up with my tune from Unique though :D
you know me almost tooooooo well. i have been thinkin about a aftermarket tune. whats the ups on it. :?
Steve@Tasca
Midget

focinite wrote:
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:His car is a regular ZX3 with an SVT powertrain swap, I think he'd have to pay to get the update and knowing Focinite he'll wait for the tune to fall from the sky before he pays for it. :lol:

you know me almost tooooooo well. i have been thinkin about a aftermarket tune. whats the ups on it. :?
Like I said, I got my tune from Unique in South Carolina and it's fantastic. 8)

focinite

what does it change . there is always give and take.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

focinite wrote:what does it change . there is always give and take.
My mileage may have dropped a bit but other than that it's a 99% improvement, starts better, doesn't stall, pulls hard.

I still average mid 20s around town and get 27.5 with the cruise set at 83 or so.

You need to drive a tuned SVT before you say there's always give and take, Ford really did a poor job tuning these cars.

oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:You need to drive a tuned SVT before you say there's always give and take, Ford really did a poor job tuning these cars.
I, for one, will never know how good or bad my tune is. Because Ford chose to use this awful ECU system that requires you to buy a "tuning flash programmer", it would cost me $700-$1000 to tune my car (remember: my car has the JRSC+BBK). Am I willing to part with that kind of jack for a 2004 car? ¡No way, Jose!
And that's just the beginning of the challenges. If I was willing to spend the $$, there's no local tuner who will touch a supercharged SVTF with a ten foot pole!
Tuning-wise, this ain't no Honda or Subaru!!!!
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Steve@Tasca
Midget

I believe most modern cars use flash tuning, There's simply no way to properly tune a forced induction car without it being on a dyno or using data logging.

Almost no one uses a "chip" anymore, remember the old saying Jim, You have to pay to play. 8)