Got Schooled with my C.A.I

For your Ford Focus related discussion
screaming4snow
Car: 03 Screaming Yellow SVT

i have an AEM C.A.I.S on my o3 SVT and since then i have driving it in the rain maybe twice. i dodge puddles and everything to avoid water. didn't have the waterproof bag or the bypass valve in it yet.

i have since gone through 2 t.p sensors. putting the 3rd one in today. and installing the bypass valve (once AEM sends me the CORRECT one this time...) and the waterproofing bag.

ill let you guys know if this rehab works for my cars t.p sensor eating addiction....
Kev
2003 Screaming Yellow
#3921 of 3985
screaming4snow

ooh yeah, and after talking to them they dont suggest putting then bypass valve on these systems becasue there isnt much space anywhere to put it...

lame beans :?
Kev
2003 Screaming Yellow
#3921 of 3985
WASaZX3pos
Car: 01 Canary Yellow zzzZX3

Make an aluminum shield to cover your intake or any water that may be thrown on it, my buddy did that on his M3 and it worked great.
screaming4snow

i have a roush front cover on it. and the filter is right behind that side vent
Kev
2003 Screaming Yellow
#3921 of 3985
CleanZX3
Really CleanZX4
Car: 07 ST S.A.P.

The "bag" works awesome.
07 ST S.A.P.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

You do realize that the stock intake system on the Zetec/SVT is a true cold air don't you?
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
tgnorman
Car: 2008 VW GLI

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:You do realize that the stock intake system on the Zetec/SVT is a true cold air don't you?
bbbbbut Steve, it doesn't sound as cool!
2008 Bone Stock VW GLI

2004 Sonic Blue SVT ZX3, #1593 of 1978 Born 4/8/04
Stage 2 ported TB, Semi-custom Borla center exit, FSWerks CAI, FS front strut bar, suspension by FR/Multimatic
gone, but not forgotten
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

for the zx3 with a z tec just bust off the extra box on the filter housin this where the svt box has a little air sucker do dad. now your factory intake is full on doot tube sound making. dooooooooooooooooooot ............. dooooooooooooooooooot ............ dooooooooooooooooooot :lol:
Image wink wink.....bitches
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

Part of the reason you are going through MAF's is because ford uses a hotwire system and the oiled airfilters that are on the CAI and K&N filters and such will coat the wire and cause it to read improperly. Ford does not recommend using any type of oiled airfilter because of this. Like steve said, the stock airbox is a great way to go with a factory airfilter. just my .02
focinite

FocusMech.73155 wrote:Part of the reason you are going through MAF's is because ford uses a hotwire system and the oiled airfilters that are on the CAI and K&N filters and such will coat the wire and cause it to read improperly. Ford does not recommend using any type of oiled airfilter because of this. Like steve said, the stock airbox is a great way to go with a factory airfilter. just my .02
correct . plus oiled filters dont filter till there good and dirty , up to that point it keeps bugs and small chillen out.
spots25

FocusMech.73155 wrote:Part of the reason you are going through MAF's is because ford uses a hotwire system and the oiled airfilters that are on the CAI and K&N filters and such will coat the wire and cause it to read improperly. Ford does not recommend using any type of oiled airfilter because of this. Like steve said, the stock airbox is a great way to go with a factory airfilter. just my .02
although, FWIW, they do make something that cleans them...
00' Kona
focinite

spots25 wrote:
although, FWIW, they do make something that cleans them...
once fouled ,no matter the cleaning, it never reads quite the same.
spots25

focinite wrote: once fouled ,no matter the cleaning, it never reads quite the same.
I've had really good luck with MAF cleaner
00' Kona
focinite

spots25 wrote:
focinite wrote: once fouled ,no matter the cleaning, it never reads quite the same.
I've had really good luck with MAF cleaner
try reading a before and after on a scanner . and trust me on this , no matter the cleaner it leaves a film , what you use to wipe it with? even lint free aint lint free. so in the end you only get it sorta clean. do you how a hot wire maf works? it sends a current through a wire tell i reaches X amount of degrees. incoming air cools the wire and the pcm monitors how much current is required to keep it at X degrees,this how it measures air density. when dirt,fuzz or a solvent film get on the wire they act as an insulator allowing it to heat to X with less current and resist incoming air, now your afr is all whacked in the bing bong while your out back playin a indepth game of mash the tip!
:lol:
spots25

focinite wrote:try reading a before and after on a scanner . and trust me on this , no matter the cleaner it leaves a film , what you use to wipe it with? even lint free aint lint free. so in the end you only get it sorta clean. do you how a hot wire maf works? it sends a current through a wire tell i reaches X amount of degrees. incoming air cools the wire and the pcm monitors how much current is required to keep it at X degrees,this how it measures air density. when dirt,fuzz or a solvent film get on the wire they act as an insulator allowing it to heat to X with less current and resist incoming air, now your afr is all whacked in the bing bong while your out back playin a indepth game of mash the tip!
:lol:
lol

never tried it on a scanner, and I do know how they work, but it seems like every time I oiled my filter, a few hundred miles later my car would start running a little worse, so I cleaned the maf (chemical only, I didn't touch it) and it started running perfectly again
00' Kona