SVTF Exhaust System

For your Ford Focus related discussion
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

I’ve always thought this car was louder than I would like it to be. I guess I didn’t even notice the gradual change recently.
Tonight I walked past the rear of the car, and noticed the exhaust tip was hanging down. Further investigation found that not only was the exhaust tip rusted through (at the welded joint), but the exhaust pipes going in & out of the muffler (or whatever it is) that is up the line toward the engine are also rusted through. I patched it with some exhaust patch adhesive for the short term.
I would like recommendations for a replacement. Oh yeah, the car has the stock exhaust (97k miles).
Here are my criteria:
1) Flow at least as good as stock (better flow would be nice, especially since my car has the JRSC+BBK).
2) Quieter than stock would be very nice. Louder is not an option – especially at highway speeds.
3) Ease of installation would be very nice.
4) Good quality & durability would be very nice.
Suggestions, please!
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Patalrob
Borlatap
Car: 06 Wagon, 02 SVTF, 00 ZX3

FS Stealth would be what you want.

http://fswerks.com/exhaust.htm
00 ZX3 "RattleTrap"
06 Wagon Doggy mover
95 Chevy Silverado Tow rig for lawn mowers
02 SVTF ...........
Miller
Car: 02 Black SVT Focus

Are you sure it's a stock exhaust, I thought they were stainless... Would it really have corroded that fast??
lox222
Car: 2006 red ST with the SAP

http://www.trubendz.com/home.asp?produc ... oductIndex

Me and a few others have been running this and love it.
IT'S A FOCUS NOT AN FUCKING EVO!!!!
lox222
Car: 2006 red ST with the SAP

Missed some thing we are running MAGNAFLOW but I see they have BORLA and FLOWMASTER as well. the other two sound good. I had FLOWMASTER with race headers and it was loud as hell and ricey put a 18" Resonator on there later on and it sounded like I still had the cat on there with flex pipe back FLOWMASTER exhaust. Get the STAINLESS STEEL with the Resonator and you should be good. easy bolt up. took me like 10 mins to put it on at the shop. My car was new so no rust on the bolts. haha I would also think BORLA and FLOWMASTER would be a little quieter. They do have bigger MUFFLERS and weigh a little more as well if your into the whole weight saving thing.
IT'S A FOCUS NOT AN FUCKING EVO!!!!
PBZX3

Patalrob wrote:FS Stealth would be what you want.

I'll 2nd this one. It's what I'm running on my turbo'd 05'. Nice and quiet.
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

Miller wrote:Are you sure it's a stock exhaust, I thought they were stainless... Would it really have corroded that fast??
Yes, it is the stock exhaust. No way it's is made out of stainless steel! I have the original exhaust on my Chrysler T&C Van (over 200k miles), and it is still in excellent shape. My guess is that the SVT folks kind of hodge-podged some parts together to make an exhaust system.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Did it rust at the welds or did the pipe itself rust out?

There are many different grades of stainless steel.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Did it rust at the welds or did the pipe itself rust out?

There are many different grades of stainless steel.
It rusted at the welds (exhaust tip), and around the perimeter of both pipes where they are mounted (welded) onto the input & output ends of the muffler.
If this exhaust is stainless steel, then a Yugo is a luxury car!
:lol:
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Patalrob wrote:FS Stealth would be what you want.

I will third this. Epensive, but literally THE BEST exhaust you can buy for not only flow, but it is stock noise level but has a better exhaust tone.
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
blcksvt2003
Car: 2003 Black SVT focus

i fourth the fswerks stealth, i run an off road pipe and am planning on going to this to quiet the system down and get a better tone. personally everything else makes it alot louder imo. magnaflow trubendz is definitely louder than stock. ask crazy svt chick. borla center exit was pretty quite on karls but idk if they sell that system anymore and he was running the stock cat as well which quiets it down alot
#722 of 6,158. Stage 3 clutch, aluminum flywheel, MSD coil and wires, C.F.M. offroad pipe, front and rear FSwerks stress bars, Mach HIDs, C.F.M. short shift/w svt knob, Volant intake
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

Okay, FSWERKS makes a well-recommended system that seems to be well-designed and with good materials. The problem is that they do not make a system for the SVT. I understand that the only difference between the exhaust on a regular Focus & the SVT is the CAT flange bolt spacing.
- Anybody know how much the difference is between the standard and SVT bolt spacing?
- Anybody make this modification?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
tgnorman
Car: 2008 VW GLI

oldoutboardjim wrote:Okay, FSWERKS makes a well-recommended system that seems to be well-designed and with good materials. The problem is that they do not make a system for the SVT. I understand that the only difference between the exhaust on a regular Focus & the SVT is the CAT flange bolt spacing.
- Anybody know how much the difference is between the standard and SVT bolt spacing?
Pretty sure you just slot the outside edges of the flange with a cutoff wheel.

But what do I know, I drive a Volkswagen....
2008 Bone Stock VW GLI

2004 Sonic Blue SVT ZX3, #1593 of 1978 Born 4/8/04
Stage 2 ported TB, Semi-custom Borla center exit, FSWerks CAI, FS front strut bar, suspension by FR/Multimatic
gone, but not forgotten
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

oldoutboardjim wrote:Okay, FSWERKS makes a well-recommended system that seems to be well-designed and with good materials. The problem is that they do not make a system for the SVT. I understand that the only difference between the exhaust on a regular Focus & the SVT is the CAT flange bolt spacing.
we talkin after markit ? cus fer the most part i think the svt might be 2 and 1/2 where the zx3 is a butt load smaller . back when i did the swap i found my magna blow system to be smaller as well at 2 1/4.
:?
Image wink wink.....bitches
Miller
Car: 02 Black SVT Focus

I love Borla's. Never heard a bad sounding Borla. If you can find one similarly priced I'd go Borla.