clutch replacement

For your Ford Focus related discussion
STtuner05

i need to replace the clutch in my 05 ST, wanted to know how hard it is to do ( i have done clutches in RWD vehicles but not FWD). or if there is anyone on here that does that kind of work. or lastly a shop that will do it for a decent price.
Miller
Car: 02 Black SVT Focus

Shop will be expensive.

It's not hard to do if you have done lots of work on vehicle. the trans just unbolts off the side. Some of the bolts suck to get to, at least on my svt. weekend project.
STtuner05

anyone have the shop book (or a copy of or know where there is a copy) for the 05-07 focus (dont know if there is a diff between 2.3 and 2.0) but i would need to know the torque specs for the bolts.
STtuner05

there has to be some people that have had to do a clutch replacement, everyone brought it to a shop???
blcksvt2003
Car: 2003 Black SVT focus

long as u have a nice torque wrench you should be fine, between me and crazysvtchick, think we have done it 3-4 times? its not bad at all. get a lift for that tranny tho..makes a world of difference.
#722 of 6,158. Stage 3 clutch, aluminum flywheel, MSD coil and wires, C.F.M. offroad pipe, front and rear FSwerks stress bars, Mach HIDs, C.F.M. short shift/w svt knob, Volant intake
STtuner05

ok but does anyone know the torque specs?? or service manual???
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

Torque specs for what bolts??? There are a lot of bolts in the car
ThatOneBigKid
Car: 2002 Acura RSX Type-SC

Just pick a manual for that model year from Napa or any other store that caries them. All of your torque specs will be in the book as well as a decent step by step process. I replaced mine on my SVT by myself and it took the better part of a whole weekend. It was defiantly worth saving myself the 500+ bucks that i would have been charged in labor at a shop.
2002 RSX Type-S - JRSC - Pulley Boys 3.2" Pulley (9 psi) - RC 750cc Injectors - Hondata Kpro ECU - GReddy Evo TT Exhaust - DC Sports Race Header - Injen CAI - Competition Clutch Stage 4 - Quaife LSD - 280whp
STtuner05

ya ill have to take a look at the auto parts shops, or call up some freinds at the dealership to see if i can get the shop maunal.

and i was talking about the bolts that are being taken off durring the process of replacing the clutch, there are prolly many of them that have specific torque specs on them? (havent dont the focus clutch before but ever other vehicle i have done them on have)
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

only bolts you need to torque down are the pressure plate and the flywheel.
flywheel bolt torque: 83 ftlbs
pressure plate torque: 21 ftlbs
In all honesty, the only thing that really needs to be torqued is the pressure plate. everything else is good and tight. If you were to have it done at a dealership, everything will just get zipped down with an impact.....including the flywheel bolts. the pressure plate is the only thing that would get torqued down to spec
Steve@Tasca
Midget

FocusMech.73155 wrote:only bolts you need to torque down are the pressure plate and the flywheel.
In all honesty, the only thing that really needs to be torqued is the pressure plate. everything else is good and tight. If you were to have it done at a dealership, everything will just get zipped down with an impact.....including the flywheel bolts. the pressure plate is the only thing that would get torqued down to spec
There is a bit of experience that goes into knowing what's tight enough though and not everyone is comfortable guessing on a job like that.

I'd agree with your method though.

Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
STtuner05

ya i like to do it by the books.
SMOKEDFSVT
Car: 02 svt. red

FocusMech.73155 wrote:only bolts you need to torque down are the pressure plate and the flywheel.
STtuner05 wrote:ya i like to do it by the books.
dude.. really hes a ford mechanic and he knows what hes doing. honestly, even if you brought it to a shop, thats all anyone else (other mechanics) would do to. you dont have to stress the small stuff. but good luck with the clutch!
Steve@Tasca
Midget

SMOKEDFSVT wrote:
STtuner05 wrote:ya i like to do it by the books.
dude.. really hes a ford mechanic and he knows what hes doing. honestly, even if you brought it to a shop, thats all anyone else (other mechanics) would do to. you dont have to stress the small stuff. but good luck with the clutch!
Like I said, some people aren't comfortable working that way which is a good thing because if you aren't sure what to tighten a bolt to you could end up leaving it too loose or breaking something off.

There's nothing wrong with that, it's just the way things are.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
COSVT03

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS Torque a pressure plate to exact torque specifications!!!
I have all the tools needed. In Minneapolis/Lakeville area. Have same ID on Focaljet.

Piece of cake.