If you want tint darker than 50%, just get a prescription

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
darkdan

From what I've been seeing from my customers, it takes no longer than about 6 minutes to get a prescription from your optometrist, dermatologist, or family practitioner.

Basically you call up, say you want a prescription for your getting your car tinted, tell them how dark, and go pick it up.

1.) It must be a PRESCRIPTION! Not a doctor's note. But an actual prescription from their Rx pad.

2.) It must state the VLT you're allowed. If you want 35%, you better get it for 27% because it once the film is on the glass it comes out a smidge darker.

3.) It must have an expiration date of no later than 2-years from today. So you will have to get it renewed every two years.

4.) Keep it in your car.

Congrats, now you can legally have darker tint and avoid $128 ticket.

Good reasons to have it: 99% UV protection (less risk of skin cancer!), "sensitive eyes", an aversion to wearing sunglasses, general comfort.

Just a PSA from your resident window tinter.
HotRodWagon
Cajun Mafia
Car: 01 Street Wagon/02 ZTW

darkdan wrote:From what I've been seeing from my customers, it takes no longer than about 6 minutes to get a prescription from your optometrist, dermatologist, or family practitioner.

Basically you call up, say you want a prescription for your getting your car tinted, tell them how dark, and go pick it up.

1.) It must be a PRESCRIPTION! Not a doctor's note. But an actual prescription from their Rx pad.

2.) It must state the VLT you're allowed. If you want 35%, you better get it for 27% because it once the film is on the glass it comes out a smidge darker.

3.) It must have an expiration date of no later than 2-years from today. So you will have to get it renewed every two years.

4.) Keep it in your car.

Congrats, now you can legally have darker tint and avoid $128 ticket.

Good reasons to have it: 99% UV protection (less risk of skin cancer!), "sensitive eyes", an aversion to wearing sunglasses, general comfort.

Just a PSA from your resident window tinter.
Now I would have never even thought there was such a thing. Thanks for the heads up!
...always in focus...
...costra nostra tobasco
darkdan

With the new tint law that penalizes tinters for going darker than 50% (or even offerng it) really has reduced the number of shops going darker.

Who knows if they'll ever enforce it, but I can't afford the fine.