Fixing Cloudy Headlight Lenses

For your Ford Focus related discussion
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

The plastic 'lenses' on my SVT HID headlights are getting kinda cloudy looking. Any recommendations for a top-notch repair method?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Brake-Late
Car: pitch black 03 svt focus

Depends how bad they are most of the time compounding and polishing will work, worst case wet sanding and clearcoat..they have kits you can buy. But I just buff em out...
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

I bet HRW would trade you even up for his almost new SVT headlights... :lol:
Dean

FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

Tousley has a 3M kit for fixing that. I don't know how much they charge to do it, but I have done it before and it is amazing how well it works. it is basically rubbing compound and different disks, but i tell you it looks amazing
Steve@Tasca
Midget

If you can manage to get them cleaned up you need to get them covered with stonegaurd.

I had mine done and they still look almost new and you can barely tell the stuff is even on there. Be sure to have them professionally done though because new HIDs are $640.00 each even with my discount.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
HotRodWagon
Cajun Mafia
Car: 01 Street Wagon/02 ZTW

hafftrak wrote:I bet HRW would trade you even up for his almost new SVT headlights... :lol:
I gots Dynabeams 8)
...always in focus...
...costra nostra tobasco
spots25

Brake-Late wrote:worst case wet sanding and clearcoat..
no, don't do that, ever. At some point in the near future, the clear coat will fall off overnight and you'll be left with a terribly scratched headlight
00' Kona
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FocusMech.73155 wrote:Tousley has a 3M kit for fixing that. I don't know how much they charge to do it, but I have done it before and it is amazing how well it works. it is basically rubbing compound and different disks, but i tell you it looks amazing
The Tousley system ($69.95 for EACH headlight - ouch!) uses 3M stuff to buff the lenses back to luster. Unfortunately, this does NOT include any UV coating or film.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:If you can manage to get them cleaned up you need to get them covered with stonegaurd.
Hmmm!?! 3M does not recommend using any of its film products on headlights, as it can mess-up the light transmission. A cupla questions:
1) Do you have HID's?
2) How would you compare the light output, etc., to 'as new'?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Steve@Tasca
Midget

oldoutboardjim wrote:
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:If you can manage to get them cleaned up you need to get them covered with stonegaurd.
Hmmm!?! 3M does not recommend using any of its film products on headlights, as it can mess-up the light transmission. A cupla questions:
1) Do you have HID's?
2) How would you compare the light output, etc., to 'as new'?
I have HIDs and had them covered with a clear stonegaurd 4-5 years ago, the lights still look virtually new and the light output is great.

If there was a difference in output I can't recall noticing any huge difference, I'm glad I had it done.

The guy that did mine does tint and stonegaurd and is out of Lakeville, unfortunately I don't know how to get in touch with him anymore. :(

If you have it done, have a reputable tint shop do them for you.

Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
darkdan

3M Paint Protection Film (clearbra....stone guard, etc) will keep them from yellowing/pitting.

It should have no noticeable effect what-so-ever on light transmission.

I charge $60 to do two headlights the size of a focus.

The "after" shows the PPF installed and how it adds a lot of gloss (plus the adhesive fills in fine pits and scratches).

Five years later when I junked the car they basically looked the same. A little less glossy of course, but nothing like the top left picture. I was buffing them every 3 months before I did the PPF.