What do I do now?

For your Ford Focus related discussion
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Last week I bought things for tuning my car, Moates QuarterHorse, Binary Editor, EEC Editor and a brand new laptop. Now I find out that the tuning hardware and software is useless without a proper definition file, .DEF, for my ECU code, box code ZYF5 software calibration KRAF4. There is a software engineer out in New York State that says he'll make a .DEF and his normal rate is $30/hr, expects it to take 100+ hours. But he tells me he won't charge full price, what kind of a break I have no clue and he gave no indication. What he did indicate was that a 'group buy' or similar would substantially drive my cost down. Drawback is only owners with a KRAFx strategy would benefit from this, but the flip side is that most every 2000/01 zetec equipped Focus has that strategy. So the pool to draw from is large. Problem is getting others to get off the SCT bandwagon and come to the darkside of real time tuning.

Now I'm not willing to foot the bill for this on my own, I can't afford it. So what I'm asking is what you guys think I should do now, try to return the hardware/software based on it being unusable and cost of becoming usable being far higher than expected (I expected a custom .DEF to cost about $100), though I'd keep the laptop (found out Wal-Mart mispriced it, $100 lower than it should of been (Acer Aspire 7741z-4643).
Then I'd try to get SCT PRP and possibly the dealer version which has more options, but still not that of BE (which has unlimited control including PATS control).

So what do you guys think?

The other possibility is that the SE has a custom .DEF for another zetec Focus ECU and I swap ECU's and deal with PATS reprogramming. Fingers crossed on this one and I'll talk with him tomorrow.
--John
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

Dean

focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

first........what the eff are you saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

b. i thought you were a car guy........sigh, ........

also really i didnt get any thing outta this

"focinite leaves room lightly draging tips of shoes making a bbbbrrrrrrrthththtrittt noise" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image wink wink.....bitches
4dr4

Any luck with the Moates stuff?
I'm looking for kraf5.def.
Do you know where to find it?

-Erich