Cylinder head coating

For your Ford Focus related discussion
OrbitusXpandeR

I'm running out of luck trying to find a place locally that does thermal and friction coating on cylinder heads. Anyone know of a machine shop anywhere in Minnesota that for sure does coatings?

Greg
OrbitusXpandeR

Nevermind. Just found a place, MAPerformance in plymouth, that does coatings.

Greg
4dr4

Please let us know how well it all goes with them.
I would like to learn more about what they can do.
OrbitusXpandeR

well I got the coating done at MAPerformance, cost $275 for coating the combustion chamber, exhaust runners and all the valves. The coating seemed to be a little rougher than I've seen elsewhere, and also seemed a little thinner than I've seen elsewhere, but I'm not sure if that's good or bad or even true, it just appeared that way. They also took three weeks longer than originally quoted. I was going to have some mild port/polish work but they quoted me at just under $800 for just a mild polish without any porting, so I said no thanks.

As far as how well it performs, I won't really know for some time as it wouldn't really start to shine until i get a turbo on it, I'm just reporting on my dealings with MAP.

All in all, they weren't bad. The only real gripe I have are their insane porting prices and the extra three weeks it took. The people I dealt with were nice enough, they weren't stuck up or pushy. Well except for the for their head porter, who just kept going on and on about how the FR head looked like a really bad head.

Greg
TS07ZX3
Car: 2007 Focus SE Hatch

a friend of mine recently started working for MAP. I know he is really knowlegable when it comes to honda, nissan, vw, lets just say foreign vehicles. Don't know about their pricing but if the caliber ofpeople they have working there matches mybuddy I'd bring my car there.