front suspension noise...

For your Ford Focus related discussion
Nevr

my focus has always had a little knock in the front right suspension, but after a few rally stages last weekend, it has gotten 5x worse, does anyone know what it could be? when going over bumps it sounds like metal knocking, almost knuckles on wood... replaced the endlinks already :) im thinking tie rods, as my car seems to have fallen out of allignment, but i suppose it could also be ball joints, control arm bushings, or upper strut bearing/bushing.... pretty costly to replace everything, just wondering if anyone has dealt with this...
Miller
Car: 02 Black SVT Focus

lift it in the air, and try and tilt the wheel up and down, if it has play that way a lot of times it's ball joints.

if it has play left and right it's usually tie rods.

could also be a bad wheel bearing or shock even. obviously inspect for trashed bushings.
harold
Car: '06 BMW 330i

While you're in there, I'd check the springs. My wife's car had a front suspension noise I couldn't figure out until I replaced the struts and found out the last 1/3 of the bottom coil had broken off. It was snapped right under the foam wrap that's there, so I couldn't see it with the spring installed and it wasn't enough to affect the ride height.
Focus: singular
Foci: plural
Not interchangeable
Nevr

thanks guys i will get it in the air tonight.

i replaced my shocks and springs with used lowering stuff, that was in pretty good shape actually. ive checked the spring, no brokie.
Miller

Well, I'd also check your sway bar links as well when you're there.
CleanZX3
Really CleanZX4
Car: 07 ST S.A.P.

Check the top strut bolt.
07 ST S.A.P.
Nevr

CleanZX3 wrote:Check the top strut bolt.
will do, what is the correct way to tighten it? last time i just blasted it on with an impact....
spots25

diagnose it!! have someone bounce the car up and down whatever way necessary to make the noise, then start feeling around
00' Kona
Nevr

everything checks out.... cant replicate the noise when the car isnt moving... no play or slob going either up and down, or side to side. uhg.
Miller

Can almost guarantee it's a wheel bearing. Put it in the air and spin the wheel. Any grinding noise would be a little bit of brakes or wheel bearing. Use a stethoscope and listen for exactly where it's coming from. Probably a wheel bearing!
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

your front springs are all bustificated, thats right its a real word. things to listen fer are also..... poing, creak poing and poing pow screech flaming school bus and then ambulance cus the spring had dune gone clean through yer tire and you have rolled one gabillion times and killed er one!!!!! morel of the story, get yer springs fixed and .........quid it!!!! :lol:
Image wink wink.....bitches
blcksvt2003
Car: 2003 Black SVT focus

focinite wrote:your front springs are all bustificated, thats right its a real word. things to listen fer are also..... poing, creak poing and poing pow screech flaming school bus and then ambulance cus the spring had dune gone clean through yer tire and you have rolled one gabillion times and killed er one!!!!! morel of the story, get yer springs fixed and .........quid it!!!! :lol:
haha how drunk were u when u wrote this one? , then again u seem like u may possibly be drunk in most of ur messages, if not, that must be ur goofy nature
#722 of 6,158. Stage 3 clutch, aluminum flywheel, MSD coil and wires, C.F.M. offroad pipe, front and rear FSwerks stress bars, Mach HIDs, C.F.M. short shift/w svt knob, Volant intake
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

blcksvt2003 wrote:
focinite wrote:your front springs are all bustificated, thats right its a real word. things to listen fer are also..... poing, creak poing and poing pow screech flaming school bus and then ambulance cus the spring had dune gone clean through yer tire and you have rolled one gabillion times and killed er one!!!!! morel of the story, get yer springs fixed and .........quid it!!!! :lol:
haha how drunk were u when u wrote this one? , then again u seem like u may possibly be drunk in most of ur messages, if not, that must be ur goofy nature
actually ive been sober fer like 3 years. trust me my drunk post were epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
Image wink wink.....bitches
Steve@Tasca
Midget

blcksvt2003 wrote:haha how drunk were u when u wrote this one? , then again u seem like u may possibly be drunk in most of ur messages, if not, that must be ur goofy nature
How do you think he got his title? 8)
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com