HID Headlights

For your Ford Focus related discussion
Glass Joe

One of my HID assemblies is very foggy and yellow. What sorts of options are available? I've seen DEPO lights from CFM and a mess of eBay lights that I don't know if they'll fit.

Any of you have some experience with this? Can a person make an eBay projector work with HIDs?

I should mention the car currently has HIDs to clear any confusion. I'm hoping for something close to plug and play but I'm willing to work as well.

Thanks.
2K4 JRSC SVT // 2K7 SES ZX3
tgnorman
Car: 2008 VW GLI

In my experience, the optic quality is so shitty on the ebay lights that unless you're planning on retrofitting new projectors in, they're going to be near worthless. Everything I've heard from FJ and such is that the depo housings are extremely good quality.

Otherwise, it's a bit different look, but if you can find a set of E-spec hellas for the focus, they have an H7 lowbeam projector that works quite well with the d2s bulbs you have in the OEM HIDS, providing you find a set of bulb adapters. H7 and D2S are a very similar bulb from an optics standpoint, they just need an adapter to make the base align in the H7 socket.
2008 Bone Stock VW GLI

2004 Sonic Blue SVT ZX3, #1593 of 1978 Born 4/8/04
Stage 2 ported TB, Semi-custom Borla center exit, FSWerks CAI, FS front strut bar, suspension by FR/Multimatic
gone, but not forgotten
Steve@Tasca
Midget

I believe you can buy the Depo lights at Certifit for around $300.00 for the pair, I've seen them and they look pretty good.

You could always buff yours out, either way if you buy new or buff them I'd get them covered in clear stone gaurd ASAP and they'll stay looking like new for a very long time.

Mine were stonegaurded within a year of install and they've been on my car for about five years now and they still look great.

Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
PBZX3

I'd buff them out. I've done a couple of cars and they turn out pretty damn good. Takes some time and elbow grease but sure is a lot cheaper than the other options.
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
Glass Joe

tgnorman wrote:In my experience, the optic quality is so shitty on the ebay lights that unless you're planning on retrofitting new projectors in, they're going to be near worthless.
This is something I thought about. Can I take my existing HID wiring and make it fit into those housings? Or will this be so Frankenstein that its just not worth it?
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Glass Joe wrote:
tgnorman wrote:In my experience, the optic quality is so shitty on the ebay lights that unless you're planning on retrofitting new projectors in, they're going to be near worthless.
This is something I thought about. Can I take my existing HID wiring and make it fit into those housings? Or will this be so Frankenstein that its just not worth it?
All the OEM parts are a direct swap into the Depo housings. You do have OEM HIDs correct?
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Glass Joe

Steve, yes, they are OEM.

Here is a photo of the bad light.
http://img10.imageshack.us/i/blackskis025.jpg/
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

That doesn't look too bad. You should be able to buff it out.
Dean

Glass Joe

I think the biggest problem is that the cover over the wiring on the back of the light was only half attached and there was rocks and everything else inside there. Ive read about removing the covers using an oven, but am nervous to do so. Has anyone done that locally with good results?
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Yes multiple times. It's easy, you won't hurt the lights....
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Glass Joe

Pappy wrote:Yes multiple times. It's easy, you won't hurt the lights....
200 degrees for 10 minutes, repeat as necessary?

Does it take some convincing or should it pop open pretty easy?
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?

Once should be enough. Then just use a flat head screw driver and start working the bottom edge. Once you get that edge started you will just be able to peel em apart by hand.

Glass Joe

Give me a few days. Photos to follow ...
Glass Joe

Pappy, I've gone around the entire assembly and cannot get it to pop open. Is there a trick? Something I'm missing?
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?

Just keep working at it. The lens sits in a channel of the housing. Another item vie used to help get them open in the past is the tool used to open paint cans because it can help get into the channel a bit better....