Choices, Help me decide?

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
ScottyK
Can't remember what he drove to work today
Car: 2005 Liquid Grey Focus ST

Well, if anyone cares, heres my choices for an "exchange" at the dealer I swapped civics at. They bought my red one and I bought a 2007 civic hybrid from them about 2 weeks ago. It is getting 30 - 35MPG max and is suuuuper slow and almost zero fun to drive. I like the interior features and space, but hate the performance and engine. We were expecting to get what the sticker says, 49/51mpg. So, the dealer is allowing an exchange since I am too late to flat out return it.

Here's what I am choosing from:

2007 Jetta 2.0T, 6-speed, well loaded, 49,000 miles :D
2008 Passat 2.0T, 6-speed, also well loaded, 43,000 miles :)
2008 Lancer GTS, auto, seems chinsy on the inside... 58,000 miles :?

That's what I have narrowed down my options to. One of these, or I keep the Civic Hybrid slug and hope for the best.

My first choice is the 2007 Jetta 2.0T 6-speed. Same engine as Kyle's and size is prob. same too, so i figure i'll get just as good of mileage out of it.The Passat is my second choice, I think. It's black on black leather, the same engine...but is bigger and would likely not do as well on mpg's. Does anyone have any thoughts? :o
zurno
Got any WoW pron?
Car: ZX4x4

obvious choice is the lancer since you said your wife won't drive a manual transmission car
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Who cares. You'll trade or sell whatever you get for something else a week later anyways.....
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Redlineracer12
I is speshul
Car: 00 Contour SVT

Pappy wrote:Who cares. You'll trade or sell whatever you get for something else a week later anyways.....
Truth.
3 Fords, 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha
ScottyK

Redlineracer12 wrote:
Pappy wrote:Who cares. You'll trade or sell whatever you get for something else a week later anyways.....
Truth.
Redlineracer12 wrote:
Truth.
Yes, it's definitely been a trading season. I get where you're coming from. The wife likes Jetta's and is okay with the Jetta or passat because they are VW. She was against the Civic because it was a red sporty 6-speed with "flashy wheels". She doesn't like the Lancer for those reasons as well. And she thought the Lancer looked more like a childs toy than an everyday car. I agree.

Anyways, i'm leaning towards the Jetta or Passat. It'll come down to interior space really. The Jetta looks pretty big, so I think it will work out. She likes the Jetta and passat too, because they are more adult-like cars. She saw the civic as a racer.

I plan on keeping whatever I get for at least a year, so it's kinda a big decision and i'll take any help I can get. Pappy, I truly get where you're coming from. Thanks for addressing it so frankly, seriously. I need to stop. It's like a screwed up addiction or something. Anyways.... back to the 2 choices.

Passat or Jetta. The passat, like I said, is black on black leather, and is the 2.0T model. The Jetta is a light "sea green" color exterior and a medium brown leather interior with black trimming. I think they will both run similarly. Both have a clean car fax, are one owners and have clean titles.

Should I be concerned, when buying a VW, that there is no VW dealership up here in Duluth? We have a couple of service options, just no dealer support. Right now that is the only concern I have.

I am likely going to go down to make the swap tomorrow night, one way or another. My past trading patterns aside, please let me know if you have any constructive useful wisdom on either of these vehicles. Thanks.
ScottyK

I have one more car to throw in the mix, that I just saw was available today.

Another option: 2007 Altima 2.5 S, Dark Tan exterior, Light Tan interior (cloth) Auto with 35,000 miles.

That's it for options.

I'm still favoring the Jetta, I think.
o2designs
Making skinny jeans look baggy since 2009
Car: Bone Stock Focuseses

Pics of the Jetta? If its Sage Green, thats a pretty rare color on the Rabbits, and did'nt know they did it on the Jetta. But you might be concerned about dealer issues, if you have problems with the car, you could be screwed.
Pants too tight, wheels so bright!
ScottyK

o2designs wrote:Pics of the Jetta? If its Sage Green, thats a pretty rare color on the Rabbits, and did'nt know they did it on the Jetta. But you might be concerned about dealer issues, if you have problems with the car, you could be screwed.
It says it is North Sea Green... Same as Sage Green? I don't know. I'm having it held for me till tomorrow. Do you think it is a roomy enough car Kyle? For me, I mean. If not, I will consider the passat, or just keep the Hybrid.

Heres the images.

ScottyK

I know... needs a drop and tint. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ScottyK

and the passat.... as a back up plan maybe.

ZX2_racer
Car: Pitch Black 2007 ZX3 S

Personally, I like the Passat the best.
Eibach | Tokico | Ford Racing | Magnaflow | F2 USA | Steeda | Crane
o2designs

I like the Passat.

The color of the Jetta is not the color I was thinking, its not Sage Green. But I do like the interior/color combo.
zurno
Got any WoW pron?
Car: ZX4x4

I still could have swore your wife didn't like the 6 speed in the Civic, why are you looking at them again?
ScottyK

Thanks for the feedback kyle and mg. Zurno, you're right. She didn't like the 6 speed in the civic, but she didn't like anything about the civic. The only thing she won't like about the vws is the transmission. Everything else, she really likes. Plus, this is what the dealer has for me to choose from and my wife is on board. Id be a hell of a lot happier with either one over the hybrid. Good questiion though zurno. Ho0pefully that clarifies.

I like the passat too. Do you think the mileage would be a lot worse because of the size.of the car? Id really like to get the 35+ that kyle talks of with his gli...

I go down tomorrow afternoon to decide.
o2designs

From what I've heard, a Passat gets similar mileage.