End Of The Quest: SVT w/JRSC+BBK Tune

For your Ford Focus related discussion
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

Well, as many of you know, I have been debating this for years. The Ford Racing tune is okay – but is there significantly more performance to be had????
So far the biggest hurdle is cost: the cost is high, and I’m cheap. You gotta buy a dang flash unit, and the cost of the tune is on top of that.
Anyway, past blogs have steered me to DB Performance, so they would be the ‘tuner of choice’. Yesterday, when I saw the XCAL3 for sale on MNFOCUS, I thought to myself, “I might just do this!” So I called Dan at DB, and the direction things went was different than I anticipated.
First of all, the SVT has the special (translated: PITA) ECU. It turns out that the XCAL1 & XCAL2 work ‘fair’ with the SVT, but Dan has had problems with the XCAL3 to the point that he won’t even do an SVT tune with an XCAL3.
Secondly, tuning an SVT is a painful, time-consuming process. Every time he changes a parameter it takes about 20-25 minutes to reload the flash.
Thirdly (this is kinda important!), he can’t promise any results. In the end, he said, you might end up with zero gain. Hmmmmmmm!
Dan’s parting words were, and I quote, “Leave it alone.” I appreciate his candor in all this. I’d hate to invest a ton of $ and end up with zero gain.
So I’m done. What I have is what I’ll stick with. It works well. It’s pretty quick – although you can never have too much horsepower.
Thanks to everyone who has offered guidance in the past.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Steve@Tasca
Midget

If that was his response then I'd have to disagree, there's a lot more there, you just need a more experienced SVT Focus tuner.

Have you contacted FS Werks?

Pappy was making about 220whp with his standard Zetec with a Frankenstein JRSC/BBK setup.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Redlineracer12
I is speshul
Car: 00 Contour SVT

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Pappy was making about 220whp with his standard Zetec with a Frankenstein JRSC/BBK setup.
Where do you keep getting that from? He made 200whp as far as I remember :) The 220whp he made was with the nitrous and cams back in the day...
3 Fords, 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte
Car: 02 SVTF

FORDSVTPARTS wrote: Pappy was making about 220whp with his standard Zetec with a Frankenstein JRSC/BBK setup.
oldoutboardjim wrote: Tuning an SVT is a painful, time-consuming process. Every time he changes a parameter it takes about 20-25 minutes to reload the flash.
Pappy had his done at DB and he has a NON SVT. Thats probably why it turned out so well. Much easier to tune, I'd guess.

This is actually VERY disappointing to me, because I was planning on going to DB once I got my SVT done...
ftw...
Guess I'll have to go buy a mustang or a VW like all the "cool kids"
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Redlineracer12 wrote:
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Pappy was making about 220whp with his standard Zetec with a Frankenstein JRSC/BBK setup.
Where do you keep getting that from? He made 200whp as far as I remember :) The 220whp he made was with the nitrous and cams back in the day...
From everything I've heard the dyno at DB reads low, that's where I get it from, Pappy says the same thing and I've heard it from others.

And Jim, DB must simply not be comfortable tuning SVTs because I know for a fact that theres more there and it can also be simply tuned "better" to smooth out some of the issues you're having.

Try FS Werks, I think they have a basic JRSC safe tune and he'll have you do some data logging to tweak things a bit.

Steve@Tasca
Midget

Stilz wrote:.
Guess I'll have to go buy a mustang or a VW like all the "cool emo kids in girl pants"
Fixed that for you. :lol:

BTW-you could also try Hi-tech, they didn't seem to have a lot of trouble with Rsheaks or Patalrobs Powerworks SVTs, Patalrobs engine did pop but his had suffered from severe nitrous abuse before he bought it so it was probably going to blow anyways.

Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte
Car: 02 SVTF

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
Stilz wrote:.
Guess I'll have to go buy a mustang or a VW like all the "cool emo kids in girl pants"
Fixed that for you. :lol:

BTW-you could also try Hi-tech, they didn't seem to have a lot of trouble with Rsheaks or Patalrobs Powerworks SVTs, Patalrobs engine did pop but his had suffered from severe nitrous abuse before he bought it so it was probably going to blow anyways.
bwahahaha girl pants.
That sounds like a plan there Steve. Thanks for reuping my enthusiasm.
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Try FS Werks, I think they have a basic JRSC safe tune and he'll have you do some data logging to tweak things a bit.
FS Werks isn't exactly 'local'. Are you suggesting that I take a road trip to Anaheim, CA? :lol:
I'm assuming that you mean they can do something via email downloads or some such. If that's true, I'd be a little nervous. What if they send me a tune and the car won't start, or runs terribly, or some such? How do I get that resolved? A tow from Osceola to Anaheim costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $800. :shock:
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Steve@Tasca
Midget

oldoutboardjim wrote:
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Try FS Werks, I think they have a basic JRSC safe tune and he'll have you do some data logging to tweak things a bit.
FS Werks isn't exactly 'local'. Are you suggesting that I take a road trip to Anaheim, CA? :lol:
I'm assuming that you mean they can do something via email downloads or some such. If that's true, I'd be a little nervous. What if they send me a tune and the car won't start, or runs terribly, or some such? How do I get that resolved? A tow from Osceola to Anaheim costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $800. :shock:
FS Werks is widely recognised as one of the finest Focus tuners in the country, if they say they can tune your car remotely, they can do it.

I'd trust Randy to tune my car in a heartbeat. He tuned o2designs car and CH435s car both FI and both tuned remotely.

oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:He tuned o2designs car and CH435s car both FI and both tuned remotely.
Does that mean he was just 'remotely' successful? :lol:
Seriously, though, maybe I'll give these guys a call. I sure ain't havin' any luck locally!
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
goinloco1

db did mine last year and got a whoping 197whp @5psi. I know for a fact it was reading low, they pulled a wrx on afterwards and it pulled 210whp stock. should have been in the 230 range.
the reason svtf are a bitch to tune is the vct. its really a pain to dial in and if someone hasn't worked with it before it'll cause all sorts of problems.
I'll be taking mine back there this winter. but mines easier since the vct is deleted and the knock is shut off and run through the J&S. basically all they have to mess with is fuel and timing. also adjusting the cam gears, which he was afraid to touch since last time neither of us knew how much adjustment we had to play with
Patalrob
Borlatap
Car: 06 Wagon, 02 SVTF, 00 ZX3

I am happy with Casey's "hitech" tune on mine he had mine done in about 1.5 hrs on the dyno for tuning. I have had thoughts of a retune but I haven't done any major changes to justify for it.
00 ZX3 "RattleTrap"
06 Wagon Doggy mover
95 Chevy Silverado Tow rig for lawn mowers
02 SVTF ...........
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

Patalrob wrote:I am happy with Casey's "hitech" tune on mine.....
What is your motor configuration (SVT, non-svt, boosted, etc.)? :?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

He's got a powerworked super charged Svt.
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

Patalrob wrote:I am happy with Casey's "hitech" tune on mine.....
Okay, who is Casey and where is "hitech"?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978