Oil Leak? Yikes!

For your Ford Focus related discussion
dartfork

My car just started to leak oil pretty bad. (About 1/2 quart a week) The oil is all over the transmission "bell housing". But it also looks like it is all over the drivers side of the engine.
I've seen a lot of posts regarding leaking valve covers and also leaking rear main bearings. I'm just wondering which is more likely. I've cleaned the oil off to try to see where it is coming from but it'd be nice to know exactly where I should be looking.

What are the chances it is both?

How big of a deal is it to fix the leaking rear seal?

Car: 2003 ZX3 - NA Zetech - 5spd
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Rear seal will leak from the bottom of the trans.

Sounds to me like the VC breather tube to the air box is disconnected and maybe the PCV elbow is collapsed.

But on the list of things on that side it could be,
Oil Galley plugs, there are 2, one on either side of the coil pack, T-27's, if these leak they will spray oil.
Cam Position Sensor, it's on the back side of the head, there is an O-ring than can deteriorate and leak, rare though, usually if this leaks it will just drip down.
VC breather, this can either spray or leak oil, all depends on the condition of the PCV system.
VC gasket, generally just drips oil, though if the PCV is plugged it could spray oil, rare though.

Other than those 4 things there's nothing that will leak oil in the area.
--John
dartfork

HI,
After cleaning the oil off and taking it for a drive. There is no oil on the head below the Valve Cover but a lot of oil on the front of the "bellhousing". To be more specific, on the front/top of the bell housing. The PCV is dirty but no new oil is around it. The valve cover breather is on and not leaking.
Just replaced the PCV valve. I'll replace the VC gasket, because its been "seeping" for years
Thanks for the input

Any other ideas?
iminhell

So the bottom of the trans is not wet at all?

That PCV hardline could have a little hole maybe? Might surface as a slight high idle now and again from the vacuum leak.

The rear mains don't go bad W/O something else causing it, excessive crank movement basically, or improperly installed from a clutch job. The rubber they're made with is very durable and should almost outlast the car.
I just don't think it'd be the rear main seal.

I really think it's something in that PCV line.
--John
dartfork

iminhell wrote:So the bottom of the trans is not wet at all?

That PCV hardline could have a little hole maybe? Might surface as a slight high idle now and again from the vacuum leak.

The rear mains don't go bad W/O something else causing it, excessive crank movement basically, or improperly installed from a clutch job. The rubber they're made with is very durable and should almost outlast the car.
I just don't think it'd be the rear main seal.

I really think it's something in that PCV line.
After closer inspection, I think you're on the right track too. Do you know what the "hole" is between where the PCV hose goes into the block and the radiator hose? It looks like an allen headed plug or something? The oil is freshest there. Though being so close to the PCV hose it could be spraying on there. What could make a PCV valve/hose blow so much oil?

Thanks again for your help.
iminhell

If you're talking the plug just above the thermostat housing, it's a Torx, T-27 is the size.

Anything below the housing there should be no hole. There is one on the bottom of the head behind the housing that is where the bottom bolt for the coil bracket goes, but you'd only see it if the bolt is missing, and it shouldn't leak oil ever, if it dies the head is junk.

Try and get a picture of the area that's suspect.

Only thing I can think of that would make the PCV blow oil is bad rings / lots of blow-by. Not a good sign and lets hope this isn't the case.
--John
dartfork

iminhell wrote:If you're talking the plug just above the thermostat housing, it's a Torx, T-27 is the size.

Anything below the housing there should be no hole. There is one on the bottom of the head behind the housing that is where the bottom bolt for the coil bracket goes, but you'd only see it if the bolt is missing, and it shouldn't leak oil ever, if it dies the head is junk.

Try and get a picture of the area that's suspect.

Only thing I can think of that would make the PCV blow oil is bad rings / lots of blow-by. Not a good sign and lets hope this isn't the case.
I 'll see if I can borrow some tools to do a compression test. (to find out about the blow-by)

Thanks again