Dash bulbs

For your Ford Focus related discussion
dartfork

Does anyone know what the bulb number is for the HVAC/radio section of the dash. There isn't anywhere that has this listed. The OReilly has 3 different bulbs that look like the factory bulb. They sold me a 74 (I think) It doesn't work. Right now I'm so infuriated that this mundane part is so hard to figure out.
Last edited by dartfork on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

dartfork wrote:Does anyone know what the bulb number is for the HVAC/radio section of the dash. There isn't anywhere that has this listed. The OReilly has 3 different bulbs that look like the factory bulb. They sold me a 740 (I think) It doesn't work. Right now I'm so infuriated that this mundane part is so hard to figure out.
I believe it's serviced as a bulb/socket assembly P/N F8RZ-13B765-CA $9.37 each from me.

That's why you can't find it in the aftermarket, you might find a similar bulb but it will never be identical since Ford designed it to be an assembly.

I don't even stock these, what's going on with yours?
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
dartfork

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
dartfork wrote:Does anyone know what the bulb number is for the HVAC/radio section of the dash. There isn't anywhere that has this listed. The OReilly has 3 different bulbs that look like the factory bulb. They sold me a 740 (I think) It doesn't work. Right now I'm so infuriated that this mundane part is so hard to figure out.
I believe it's serviced as a bulb/socket assembly P/N F8RZ-13B765-CA $9.37 each from me.

That's why you can't find it in the aftermarket, you might find a similar bulb but it will never be identical since Ford designed it to be an assembly.

I don't even stock these, what's going on with yours?
1 or 2 are burned out. Its silly that you have to change the socket. It is perfectly good.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

dartfork wrote: 1 or 2 are burned out. Its silly that you have to change the socket. It is perfectly good.
Super common practice in the automotive industry, it's been that way for as long as I've been in dealerships which is going on twenty years now.

Sometimes the bulb is removeable from the socket and sometimes it's not.

dartfork

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
dartfork wrote: 1 or 2 are burned out. Its silly that you have to change the socket. It is perfectly good.
Super common practice in the automotive industry, it's been that way for as long as I've been in dealerships which is going on twenty years now.

The bulb is removeable from the socket. Its just like any other backlighting bulb in dash; just smaller. The socket turns and pops out and the bulb pops into/out off the socket. There's no reason they couldn't sell the bulb separately. Its crazy no one else has had to do this. I feel like I'm tring to fix an Alfa from the 60's or something.
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Sure they aren't a 193?
--John
Steve@Tasca
Midget

dartfork wrote:
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:

The bulb is removeable from the socket. Its just like any other backlighting bulb in dash; just smaller. The socket turns and pops out and the bulb pops into/out off the socket. There's no reason they couldn't sell the bulb separately. Its crazy no one else has had to do this. I feel like I'm tring to fix an Alfa from the 60's or something.
Well, lets see.

You also can't buy a voltage regulator or brushes for an alternator, you can't buy a starter solenoid, none of the rear control arm bushings are serviced.

Heck, if you had a Duratec you couldn't even buy any internal engine parts.

No point complaining about something you can't change.

dartfork

Sometimes the bulb is removeable from the socket and sometimes it's not.[/quote]

The bulb is removeable from the socket. Its just like any other backlighting bulb in dash; just smaller. The socket turns and pops out and the bulb pops into/out off the socket. There's no reason they couldn't sell the bulb separately. Its crazy no one else has had to do this. I feel like I'm tring to fix an Alfa from the 60's or something.[/quote]

Well, lets see.

You also can't buy a voltage regulator or brushes for an alternator, you can't buy a starter solenoid, none of the rear control arm bushings are serviced.

Heck, if you had a Duratec you couldn't even buy any internal engine parts.

No point complaining about something you can't change.[/quote]

Steve, no disrespect, but...
Just because Ford doesn't sell it, doesn't mean it is not for sale somewhere else. For example: Alternator and starter components are available from Rock Auto and their ilk.

I found a page saying that the bulbs were "74"s; which is what I bought at OReilly. Maybe its just the brand I bought are too big, or maybe the guy who wrote that they were "74"s (on Focus Fanatics) didn't know what he/she was talking about. Maybe, I just need to "make them fit". Who knows?

I'll check out those "193"s Iminhell suggested. Thanks
Steve@Tasca
Midget

I guess my point is that you're spending all this time and effort and stresssing out to find a bulb alone when you could simply order in the correct part and be done with it.

Obviously every part on a car is made by someone, somewhere, it's just a matter of how much time and effort you want to spend tracking it down.

Personally I don't have enough hours in the day to do what I want to do as it is.

Just sayin.