cylinder head/intake manifold g2g!!!

For your Ford Focus related discussion
OrbitusXpandeR

As far as I'm tracking, all I have left to pull off yet is the timing belt/pulleys and the cylinder head itself. Everything else is torn out or moved out of the way. But I've got the new (to me) cylinder head going in along with a FRIM, alternator relocation bracket, crower II's, new timing belt, idler and tension pulley.

Greg
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Oh that's right. I'd forgot you had the FRIM.

You have a grinder just in case right? If not I'll bring one. I've heard clearances are really tight even with mounting the alternator a bit lower. I figure it's comparable to my SVT swap though, and it's pretty easy to deal with my car.
Regardless I shouldn't have any problems. The cars are pretty easy to work on.

If there are any tools you need just let me know.

Do you have an air compressor?
If so I'll bring the (crappy) leak-down gauge with. Makes finding/holding TDC really easy.
--John
OrbitusXpandeR

Yuppwers. Got a grinder and air compressor.

Greg
OrbitusXpandeR

SO, John was nice enough to come help with the build over the course of three days, although in all honesty it was him doing most of the work. I can't really complain, he really knew what the hell he was doing and he was great to work with. We had a few... not really set backs, but lengthy portions, specifically with doing the clearance and having to grind just about every bucket on the intake side. We got it all put together pretty well, though, and i've got an appointment at DB Performance next week to get it tuned properly. I'll put up pictures of the engine bay real soon here. For now, the exhaust tone changed a LOT more than i thought it would, so i figured i'd share it with all of you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AF2Ln3nQDA

let me know what you think!! good and bad!

Greg
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Video doesn't do it justice :(

How's it drive Greg?
--John
OrbitusXpandeR

As of right now it has virtually no power under 2500rpms. I was definitely expecting a loss down low, but not necessarily that much. But then again, with as much changed, and with the cams still sitting at 0-0, I REALLY nude a tune. When i wind it out it no longer chokes at 5800-6000. Definitely wants to wind out farther, but I don't really want to until I at least get the cams dialed in. I did wind up throwing a code for the IAC, so I pulled it in, cut the hoses down a little bit and threw a 90 degree bend in the second tube so it wouldn't pinch. With that and raising the idle she purrs perfectly at 900rpms, no major shakes or tranny clatter. Clearance is still good, although i wouldn't have minded if it wasn't, it would have forced me to go out and get a nice dremel setup like yours :)

Greg
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Glad to hear it got done :D

We got the second truck 99% done but the neighbor is still fooling around with a few things.

Post up once you get the results from the tuning and dyno 8)
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
OrbitusXpandeR

will do. Honestly I'm a little scared though. I took a leap of faith in buying the cylinder head, in that it is a mild port with ceramic coating, but the port was done by hand by the guy I bought it from who "supposedly" made decent number with a similar head without the coating. We'll see i guess. If it turns out to be bunk, I only paid $120 for it. I could probably just give to to John for a few bucks to practice on.

Greg