Any advice on getting rusted bolts off?

For your Ford Focus related discussion
kjsoccerdude
Car: 2003 Infa Red ZX5

Trying to install my Eibach Sport System and it's not going to great. Got the front done just fine.

Doing the back the lower control arm bolts along with the lower shock bolts are all rusted and won't even budge. I've tried soaking them in both WD40 and PB blaster over night and put multiple coats of both on. Tried using a breaker bar. Tried an impact wrench, tried and impact gun, and even tried heating them up (all that accomplished was melting the lower control arm brushings.)

So any ideas here? Right now all I can see that i can do is to cut all the bolts and buy new control arms and bolts from Steve.
tgnorman
Car: 2008 VW GLI

Why are you pulling control arms? Rent an internal spring compressor, works like a charm.
2008 Bone Stock VW GLI

2004 Sonic Blue SVT ZX3, #1593 of 1978 Born 4/8/04
Stage 2 ported TB, Semi-custom Borla center exit, FSWerks CAI, FS front strut bar, suspension by FR/Multimatic
gone, but not forgotten
Steve@Tasca
Midget

If you melted the bushings you're buying arms.

Cut the bolts and be done with it, Tgnorman is right though, Use an internal spring compressor.

I always tell people to leave the bolts alone especially in our climate.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
goinloco1

sounds like a good time to go to poly bushings. One of the main suspension items you will notice an improvement from. really takes the softness out of it.
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

I've been thinking about going with a full poly kit, but I've heard they squeak? That would drive me nuts.
Dean

Miller
Car: 02 Black SVT Focus

Marvel mystery oil has done some ridiculous things for me in the past.
goinloco1

I've been running poly bushings on the svt for over a year drag racing and autoxing, and no squeeks. Just make sure eveything is greased good when assembled.
kjsoccerdude

Yeah unfortunately I didn't know about the internal spring compressors until I had already melted the brushings. Should have gone that rout from the begining. Still just leaves the lower shock bolts which are seized as well.

Either way I need new LCAs now. I'm going to Mankato Ford tomorrow to see if they have them in stock. If not I'm off Tuesday and will head up to Tousley as Steve already told me they do have them in stock.
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte
Car: 02 SVTF

tgnorman wrote:Why are you pulling control arms? Rent an internal spring compressor, works like a charm.
Not always... :lol:
tgnorman
Car: 2008 VW GLI

Stilz wrote:
tgnorman wrote:Why are you pulling control arms? Rent an internal spring compressor, works like a charm.
Just because you didn't have any scraps of pipe lying around doesn't mean it wouldn't work for anyone else....
2008 Bone Stock VW GLI

2004 Sonic Blue SVT ZX3, #1593 of 1978 Born 4/8/04
Stage 2 ported TB, Semi-custom Borla center exit, FSWerks CAI, FS front strut bar, suspension by FR/Multimatic
gone, but not forgotten
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte
Car: 02 SVTF

tgnorman wrote:
Stilz wrote:
Just because you didn't have any scraps of pipe lying around doesn't mean it wouldn't work for anyone else....
SHUSH... be nice. I do regular scrap runs. so any steel or aluminum gets me a pay check. lol
kjsoccerdude

So here is the situation.

I'm dropping my car. I tried to use heat to get one of the LCA bolts off and fried the brushing. So now I need to replace both LCA's. I was able to cut off the lower LCA bolt on one side. I started cutting the upper LCA bolt on that side but can't get all the way through it and can't get it to break no matter how much I torque it.

I still need to finish cutting that bolt, and then cut the two LCA bolts on the other side. Plus I need to find some way to get the lower shock bolts off because they don't want to move. I can destroy them seeing as I bought new ones but have no idea how to.

I'm willing to PAY anybody who could come help me get this stuff off. Not sure how much but we can talk about it.
PBZX3

The lower shock bolt can be a bitch. The problem is the metal insert inside the rubber bushing fuses/rustes to the bolt. They become one. I used a cut off wheel to cut the welded nut and the head of the bolt off. I was able to spread the bracket enough to allow the shock to be removed. I replaced the old hardware with a grade 8 bolt and nut.
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

A sawzall is your best friend...
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
kjsoccerdude

I know why it won't come off with the whole rusted to the inside thing. I just learned that my dad has a grinder I'm gonna try tomorrow hopefully. I think I'll be able to get both LCA bolts off.

It's just the shock bolt that is a problem now. There's no way to get at just the bolt. I can get at the head but that's it.

Also Pappy. I'm using a Sawsall already. It won't really reach/work very well on the upper LCA bolt and won't do much for me on the sock bolt because I can't get at the bolt.