Road Racing.

For your Ford Focus related discussion
ZX2_racer
Car: Pitch Black 2007 ZX3 S

I just watched a video of a guy road racing at BIR's 2.5 mile track, and it looks like WAY to much fun. With the Proving Grounds coming up, so does a chance for me to get on the track. For $150 on Saturday I think I'm going to do it. I know the basics (merging for fast traffic, etc.) but what I want to know is what are some "tricks of the trade" from any vet racers.

Also, is anyone else planning on going up to the PG? I'll be camping the weekend and if I wasn't the only Focus racing on the track I think it would be cool!
Eibach | Tokico | Ford Racing | Magnaflow | F2 USA | Steeda | Crane
08SE
Car: 08 Fusion SE V6 Silver

I know my buddy is going to put his 350 Z on the PG, he has tracked it before and he could prolly give you some points that day. I think we'd be able to find each other. Your car stands out, and his Z is black, with black wheels. I'll ask him some stuff and post a response later on here for ya.
2008 Ford Fusion SE V6, Silver. When in doubt let some smoke out...
ZX2_racer

Are you going to be there? Or anyone for that matter?
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

I had a guy tell me once "Never track a car you aren't prepared to push off a cliff." Track day incidents are surprisingly common, and your insurance will not cover any loss at a track event.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=381393
Dean

08SE

I WILL be there, paid for the hotel, took the time off. My buddy will be driving his car up, and I'll just ride along.

I did talk to my buddy last night, he said tracking your car depends on your car, his is rear drive and ours are front. They handle different and accelerate different. His advice is to know your car's limits, and how it acts as you approach those limits. If you can feel hints of loss of traction or brakes, before you do, track incidents are less likely. But you are right, they do happen alot. My buddy said that the last time he tracked 4 cars got wrecked, because of a loss in brakes or traction. Another fucked up his motor. Another thing to think about, it how strong that motor is, many factory engine components are not up to the abuse of running around a track. I also recommend to do what my buddy is going to next week, and earlier this season.

New Tires (if yours are under say 50%, they'll be toasted.)
Brake pads, maybe rotors (again under say 50-60% they'll be gone)
Upgrade to DOT 4 fluid to help from overheating fluids.

Also if your suspension is at like 50% or less, you'll need new after.

Track time kills cars, its a hell of a lot of abuse in a short time.
08SE

by the way, where'd you see that video?
PBZX3

I used to track my 01 Focus before I handed it over to the middle boy. The car took the abuse very well. Our cars aren't overly powerful and fairly light so the abuse is less than some other cars would see. The car now has 120,000 miles on it and shows no ill effects from having had the crap beat out of it. It probably has 500 track miles on it and lots of spirited daily driving.
The most important thing to remember is: At the end of the day, there are no trophies, no prize money, and no pictures on the podium. You’re doing it for the fun and experience. Not for the glory. Drive at 80 to 90% of your abilities and you will be able to drive your car home.
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

I know the cars can take the abuse, but what happens when someone's car barfs coolant or oil in your braking zone? Or someone behind you cooks their brakes and plows into the back of you? There are just too many variables that even keeping at 80%-90% won't save you from.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'd just hate to see someone write off their only car and be completely fucked. I autocross my car, but I won't track it until I have something else to drive. (2013 Focus 3-door with Ecoboost? hmm... 8) )
Dean

ZX2_racer

I don't plan on beating the shit out of it. More or less taking a few laps just to say I did it, and for some fun.

Thanks for all the advice guys. See whoever at PG. Feel free to say hi, although if you catch me after about 3pm I mayyy be drunk.
ClOckwOrkSVT

i wasnt aware that they were letting first timers on the track at the PG? most courses require you to have 4 hours in car with an instructor before they will let you drive alone on the track. if you havent driven at a track, you might be better off going to one of the driving clinics. i hear they are fun and worth every penny.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

hafftrak wrote:I had a guy tell me once "Never track a car you aren't prepared to push off a cliff." Track day incidents are surprisingly common, and your insurance will not cover any loss at a track event.

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=381393

Depends on the company I guess, My dad totalled his '64 Austin Healey on track at Road America and they paid his claim.

They also paid out on an engine fire claim he had in his new car ('61 Healey), also on track at Road America and they even paid for new header wrap.

I don't know how common that is but they've paid at LEAST two claims on his car that happened at the track and they were informed of it.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Patalrob
Borlatap
Car: 06 Wagon, 02 SVTF, 00 ZX3

BIR is a 5 hour course of in class and on track.
00 ZX3 "RattleTrap"
06 Wagon Doggy mover
95 Chevy Silverado Tow rig for lawn mowers
02 SVTF ...........
ZX2_racer

We'll see I guess.