Munched Kumho Solus KH16

For your Ford Focus related discussion
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

I picked up a nail, and it shredded my sidewall to the point that the tire is no good. Now I have 3 good matching Kumho Solus KH16's (215/45R17, on my SVTF). What to do?:
- Buy two new tires (what to buy?)? Hermitmaster recommends the Toyo Proxes 4.
- Buy one new or used Kumho Solus KH16?

Input, please?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Got a lot of tread left on the current three? If so, I'd just pick up a single replacement.

If they are on there way out replace two and keep that third as a backup for the other two...

You are looking for a good all season right? What do you want out of the tire? Treadlife, sticky, etc?
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

Pappy wrote:Got a lot of tread left on the current three?
You are looking for a good all season right? What do you want out of the tire? Treadlife, sticky, etc?
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention:
- Existing 3 tires are about 50% tread,
- I am looking for a good, all-season, long-wearing, QUIET tire. I do run winter tires from November thru March, so winter traction is not a factor.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
hermitmaster
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37x

Review of the Proxes 4: http://www.modified.com/roadtests/0404_ ... index.html
Best tire I've ever owned, I'm on my fourth set of them across three different vehicles. They're great in the snow, and can handle some mild track or autocross use.
Redlineracer12
I is speshul
Car: 00 Contour SVT

I really like my Kumho Ecsta ASX tires if you're looking for options. I'd go with buying 2 new ones if your at 50% on the existing 3. If you were closer to 75-80% I'd say go with a single new tire.
3 Fords, 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha
blcksvt2003
Car: 2003 Black SVT focus

hermitmaster wrote:Review of the Proxes 4: http://www.modified.com/roadtests/0404_ ... index.html
Best tire I've ever owned, I'm on my fourth set of them across three different vehicles. They're great in the snow, and can handle some mild track or autocross use.
damn....thats the tire i had on my car but replaced it with a differant one cause tires plus didnt stock those....didnt know anything about em but if u say they are badass ima have to make that my next set
#722 of 6,158. Stage 3 clutch, aluminum flywheel, MSD coil and wires, C.F.M. offroad pipe, front and rear FSwerks stress bars, Mach HIDs, C.F.M. short shift/w svt knob, Volant intake
WASaZX3pos
Car: 01 Canary Yellow zzzZX3

khumo all the way. new set. sell the old
hermitmaster

I say this at the expense of sounding like an ass, but Kuhmos are Korean bargain bin tires. I would only put them on a car if I was selling it. Granted they are fine for normal summer use, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as a first choice.
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte
Car: 02 SVTF

hermitmaster wrote:I say this at the expense of sounding like an ass, but Kuhmos are Korean bargain bin tires. I would only put them on a car if I was selling it. Granted they are fine for normal summer use, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as a first choice.
X2
BFGoody all the way. :)
WASaZX3pos

maybe so, but they meet all his needs, they are round, and rubber, and are quite.
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

WASaZX3pos wrote:maybe so, but they meet all his needs, they are round, and rubber, and are quite.
Uh, I'm not sure if this is an effective assessment of my needs. I do want tires that are quiet (this car is loud enough without adding to the noise). Even though I'm 62, I also want something beyond "round, and rubber". I want excellent wet traction, good dry adhesion, and a long-wearing tire. Summer tires are okay, but they wear out too fast. I don't do rally racing, slaloms, or such. Besides, if I corner too fast, my walker might fly out the window! :lol:
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
WASaZX3pos

They cover all that also gramps. :lol:
blcksvt2003
Car: 2003 Black SVT focus

try firestone firehawk gt's, very quiet all season tire, and its still considered "performance" tire, even tho i dont recommend it autocross or anything.
#722 of 6,158. Stage 3 clutch, aluminum flywheel, MSD coil and wires, C.F.M. offroad pipe, front and rear FSwerks stress bars, Mach HIDs, C.F.M. short shift/w svt knob, Volant intake
hermitmaster

oldoutboardjim wrote:
WASaZX3pos wrote:maybe so, but they meet all his needs, they are round, and rubber, and are quite.
Uh, I'm not sure if this is an effective assessment of my needs. I do want tires that are quiet (this car is loud enough without adding to the noise). Even though I'm 62, I also want something beyond "round, and rubber". I want excellent wet traction, good dry adhesion, and a long-wearing tire. Summer tires are okay, but they wear out too fast. I don't do rally racing, slaloms, or such. Besides, if I corner too fast, my walker might fly out the window! :lol:
Come take my car for a drive if you're in the area.
dartfork

Stilz wrote:
hermitmaster wrote:I say this at the expense of sounding like an ass, but Kuhmos are Korean bargain bin tires. I would only put them on a car if I was selling it. Granted they are fine for normal summer use, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone as a first choice.
X2
BFGoody all the way. :)
X3 or 4 I lost count, Oh, & 'cept for that BFG part

I've had these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... E760+Sport

...for a month or two. They seem pretty good. Wanted BFG, but they were a little too expense for my budget right now. These don't look as cool as the BFG g-force KDW 2 but they stick almost as good. ...and are a lot less expensive