stuck axle

For your Ford Focus related discussion
Monkey-Gein
Car: 2007 Black ZX5

so i'm putting in the suspention and i just figured why not replace the axles while i'm down there. they needed to be don anyways.

well, i have the pass side out and i CAN'T get the driver side one out. i've tried almost everything. yanking (which i did just to say i tried), prying the crap out of it (i know it's not the proper/best way), and tried to get around the diff pin (with no avail). i've pried with a tire iron (that worked on the crapfire) and a new set of pry bars. and all i've done is flex them all, bent the tip of the TI, chipped a prybar, and punched myself in the face a few times.....
i know there's a special tool that no one has (half shaft removal tool), and it's like $50. there has got to be a way to get this f#*&er out with out it.

help.... pleeeease....
A friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so Yeah."
07 zx3 partout viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4607
hermitmaster
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37x

Don't try to pry, just give the bar a quick, hard, snap.
Monkey-Gein

the bar or yank the axle? i've done both... the quick had snap is half of the punches t the face... i have read that on FJ a few places that it just nees a quick snap.
A friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so Yeah."
hermitmaster
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37x

The bar. You'll want to use a bar that has a flat tip with squared edges to reduce the chance of self-punching.
WASaZX3pos
Car: 01 Canary Yellow zzzZX3

when i did my passenger side, all i did was use a pry bar. kinda had to pry against the tranny a bit, very quick controlled movements. if you hit yourself in the face, something slipped off. :lol:
Monkey-Gein

i have these

i'll jack it up more and reposition the stands for more room. that may be the issue. is there a chance that i could crack the case? i read that it might happen on FJ.

i hope i don't get a black eye....
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

Have you tried swearing at it?
Dean

Monkey-Gein

hafftrak wrote:Have you tried swearing at it?
yes... yes i have... and a big hammer. don't think the hammer did anything, but i'm sure the swearing did
hafftrak

Well, I'm out of ideas
Dean

ZX3_HORNET_RACER
Car: 2001 ZX3 HORNET

Ford makes a apecial tool. there all known to be a p.i.t.a. on the drivers side only.
Monkey-Gein

i know, the tool is a Half Shaft Removal Tool

but fuck that tool. WHOO yes yes yes yes YES! got it. jst went to town on it like... um,... you get the idea. i'd cut that thing into tiny pieces and melt it down to nothing... if there wasn't a $55 core on it.. i was just bout to give up to for the night. now tomorrow everything goes back together

and i know i know, you told me so. these are like the 3rd axles i've pulled out. the other 2 were MUCH easier

while you're in here.... how hard is the rear suspension going to be? i've been working on the car since late monday amd the next race is saturday morning. i'll go with just the fronts done if i have to. i have the spring compressor and everything, just all this BS makes me think i should just wait till after...
WASaZX3pos
Car: 01 Canary Yellow zzzZX3

Good! Hah, I did the rear shocks in my car without a compressor. a little prying did the trick.
trahma
has a blownup bomb
Car: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

When was the last time you heard about a focus axle going bad?
reconstruction.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Those aren't the Ford half shaft tools.

The Ford special service tool is a big slide hammer with a 90 degree fork on the end that slips behind the inner end of the shaft.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
hafftrak

Why did you have to pull the axles?
Dean