New Cars.... WTF

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
ford06
Car: Black 01 Merc. Cougar C2

I havent been on here for a while...but last week had the intentions of buying one car and ended up getting two. My clunker junkl of metal on wheels finally got to the point of no repair...i was leaking fuel everywhere....along with coolant and oil and power steering fluid. Got a 2002 Cehvy Cavailer ( I know, I am a traitor. lol) and the other is a 2003 Ford ZX2. So with that said got a couple things I am hoping someone can help me out with.

I know a few people on here had zx2s as well. Wondering if anyone has any aftermarket parts up for sale or know of any good places in the area that have any. Right now, I am after headers and exhaust system but I am curiuos to know what people may have availalbe.

Now with the Cavailer, I have my mechanics stumped. We cannot figure out what is going on. Everytime I turn on the car and pull out of my driveway or parking spot there is a loud clunking noise and you can feel something hitting the front end of the car.It happens in both drive and reverse. Now, we have replaced tie rods, ball joints, and the whole suspension. The axle is good as well. It almost feels like the car is bottoming out everytime it happens but it isnt. Another thing to toss out there, is there is some damage to the steering wheel column. My guys said the itermediate shaft and knuckle has some wear and tear on it but wasnt anything to worry about. Just wondering if any of you have any ideas on what this may be.

I will try to get some pictures posted up here of the new cars within the next few days.
Last edited by ford06 on Fri May 14, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZX3_HORNET_RACER
Car: 2001 ZX3 HORNET

the cavaleir sounds like a bad motor/tranny mount, open the good and have someone watch to see if the motor jumps or jerks when you shift from park to drive and reverse.
ford06

nothing. Its good. We are so stumped on this. I just want to make sure it isnt a safety issue.
Miller
Car: 02 Black SVT Focus

I would say that there has to be some play in one of the half shafts then. Either that or your trans is going out such that it takes a while and then slams into gear. But that's just my thoughts on it. try mngmp.org for the cavalier.
HotRodWagon
Cajun Mafia
Car: 01 Street Wagon/02 ZTW

I'm going with transmission. Is it an automatic?
...always in focus...
...costra nostra tobasco
ford06

yea its an auto. Has 118k on it.
ZX2_racer
Car: Pitch Black 2007 ZX3 S

The Cavilier is a GM. That's the problem.

ZX2's are VERY is to work on, and there is still quite a bit of aftermarket stuff for it since almost anything for a Zetec Focus can easily be retrofitted onto it with little work. I had an OBX 4-2-1 and full exhaust on mine with an intake and some cheap-o springs on my 2000 Auto ZX2. It responded well to the mods, but it being an auto tranny made it a big pile of slow moving metal.

I pick ZX2.
Eibach | Tokico | Ford Racing | Magnaflow | F2 USA | Steeda | Crane
ford06

The cavailer is my commuter car for work. I know it isnt the best car but it is better than the clunker van I have had fro the past several months. lol.
Monkey-Gein
Car: 2007 Black ZX5

so the motor didn't move? did it make the same noise? cause i'd say lower mount or shit trans. go sign up on JBO and see if they have any better insite.

IMO the zx2s are better then the foci. i got way better mileage and performance out of it (stock) then either of my stock foci. i didn't mod mine caue it was just a work car i got from my dad (that i got for him on ebay). they are a bit eisier to work on and have more room. if you need any parts i have some laying around for that. i stripped mine before i junked it. is the zx2 a stick or auto?
A friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so Yeah."
07 zx3 partout viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4607
HotRodWagon
Cajun Mafia
Car: 01 Street Wagon/02 ZTW

ford06 wrote:yea its an auto. Has 118k on it.
I'm not familiar with GM transmissions at all. However the valve body may have something to do with it. I hate to point you in a direction without specific information. Hit up a cav board I guess.
...always in focus...
...costra nostra tobasco
ford06

zx2 is a stick. I know it needs minor work like new plugs and oil change. But who ever had the car before i got it put some money into it. Has a K & N Filter on it, tint, new tires and rims, spotless interior and engine. Also think the clutch was recently replaced. Only thing I hate is how small the mirrors are on the car.
ford06

HotRodWagon wrote:
ford06 wrote:yea its an auto. Has 118k on it.
I'm not familiar with GM transmissions at all. However the valve body may have something to do with it. I hate to point you in a direction without specific information. Hit up a cav board I guess.
yea I found a few but most of them oyu have to wait 24 hours to gain access into it and what not. I think someone on here use to have a cavailer but I cant remember for sure. For some reason I am thinking it was Warren but I dont know.
Monkey-Gein

yes warren has a cavi
A friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so Yeah."
ford06

Monkey-Gein wrote:yes warren has a cavi
see i knew someone has a cav.

played with my cav tonight and noticed the noise is worse in reverse and is i am turning the steering wheel. dont know if that gives anyone else any ideas but figured id mention it.
Monkey-Gein

you should have somone do it a couple of times while you listen. dunno exactly what kind of sound it is so i don't wanna send you on a wild goose chase