SVT head on regular Zetec block

For your Ford Focus related discussion
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

What is involved? Do you have to run the VCT or DSI?
Dean

iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Not much or a lot, depends on your view.
VCT, can't use unless you swap in a SVT ECU.
DSI, not needed. Actually I'm still on the fence if it was a good move for me or not. I gained a little power. I'll say it depends on what you get the complete intake for, $200 ya maybe, any more and it's not worth it ... but that's basing pricing of the over inflated CAI BS.

Here is the 'how-to' for anyone interested --> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/show ... p?t=209032

My biggest concern is still the tensioner. I really don't like the auto adjuster type and it seems to me that shaving the head and running a thinner gasket makes things even worse. I did find a way to make the tensioner act like a solid one though. There is a metal tab for the timing cover you can bend and hold the little arm thing in place. Leaves maybe 1/8" of play if not less, far far less than W/O holding it in place.
I'm running the Gold Coast idler pulley and it's a hair larger than stock, enough so that you have to grind the stock timing cover for clearance or adapt the SVT cover (which I want to do at some point because of the greater load potential of the SVT mount, the cover is cheap, think Steve said it was under $50).

One thing I didn't put in the how-to was the cam sensor. I now have that working. All I had to do was grind 4 of the lobes off and hook the sensor up. Now I have cylinder ID and my timing is more in line with what it should be, not that it was bad before but if you have a mis-fire it will not give you a cylinder # only a generic mis-fire code.

Head is coming off tomorrow so if anyone wants pictures or anything speak up now.
It's been on for about 5,000 miles and I want to look at carbon trails and staining in the intake. Both will tell me if my port work was good or bad and what I can do to make it better. I'll get into that when the time comes.
--John
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

So with the SVT head, is it possible to run a supercharger meant for the SVT?
Dean

iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Sure. You can run a SVT S/C on a normal zetec too. It's just the S/Cers are built/sized to not blow up the factory bottom end, reliability is what they go for. The SVT JRSC was a higher CFM rating than the normal zetec one but either fit. IIRC back when Oscar still posted I think he went over all this, haven't read those post in years though, and I can't remember if his SN was Oscar the grouch or if that was someone else, on FJ that is.
--John