Throttle issues contine

For your Ford Focus related discussion
SVThead
Car: 03 SVT Focus, 72 vette

:( :(

I had some issues with throttle before on my '03 SVTF. Replaced the TPS and it fixed the problem for several months. Now I'm getting a "dead" throttle, and in fact the car will essentially die and coast to a stop, and is then very difficult to restart. Things that seem to bring it on seem to be passing maneuvers. Is my VCT going/gone bad? Is it my PCV valve? Idle Air Control valve? It will also buck and then it will stop and then continue as if nothing happened. It's been doing this all weekend and finally threw a code. What do you guys think?
Monkey-Gein
Car: 2007 Black ZX5

everyones going to ask so, code please
A friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so Yeah."
07 zx3 partout viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4607
SVThead

Haven't had a chance to get the code on a scanner. I'm hoping I can drive the car in to get a code tomorrow.
SVThead

Here are the codes that got pulled up:

PO 190 - Fuel pressure rail sensor fail

PO 301 and 302 - Cylinders 1&2 misfire

The guy that cleared them and I've driven the car 30+ miles and they haven't showed up yet. I'm driving gingerly, and not revving over 4000 rpm.
goinloco1

ok, grab a buddy and do a quick check on the rail sensor. it has an electrical plug and a vacuum hose.
first disconnect the coil, then pull the vacuum hose off the rail sensor and have someone crank it over. if any amount of fuel comes out of the sensor where the hose connects, the diaphram in it is shot and the sensor needs replacing.
mine did this, but it actually died and could not be restarted. the diaphram in the sensor totally went and dumped raw fuel through the vacuum hose directly into the intake (pressurized fuel through a 1/8 inch hose directly into the intake tends to fubar things in a big way).
once it was replaced it fired right up. if i would have known right away I could have just plugged the hose and limped it home.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

SVThead wrote:Here are the codes that got pulled up:

PO 190 - Fuel pressure rail sensor fail

PO 301 and 302 - Cylinders 1&2 misfire

The guy that cleared them and I've driven the car 30+ miles and they haven't showed up yet. I'm driving gingerly, and not revving over 4000 rpm.
$66.00 for a new FRPS from us, I'd replace it asap before you get stranded or it causes other issues with the engine.

BTW-Pull the dipstick and see if the oil smells like gas, a failed FRPS can flood the engine pretty badly.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
SVThead

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
$66.00 for a new FRPS from us, I'd replace it asap before you get stranded or it causes other issues with the engine.

BTW-Pull the dipstick and see if the oil smells like gas, a failed FRPS can flood the engine pretty badly.
Any chances it's the fuel pump? Or does that pull up a different code? I'm seeing a lot of references to fuel pump issues with that particular code.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Well considering the cost difference and ease of install I'd lean towards the FRPS since that's what the actual code is for.

The SVTF uses the same FRPS that Mustangs use and they have a fair bit of trouble with them on those cars.

Pepsi50195
Resident parts whore
Car: 2000 autumn orange zx3

just give it what the code wants :lol:
AIM: OpOrangeZX3
MNFOCUS's resident parts whore...
BOOST CREW HERE I AM.......bitches...:lol:
SVThead

Pepsi50195 wrote:just give it what the code wants :lol:
I will obey my OBDII overlords.
CrazySVTChick
Car: 2003 Ford Focus SVT EAP

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Well considering the cost difference and ease of install I'd lean towards the FRPS since that's what the actual code is for.

The SVTF uses the same FRPS that Mustangs use and they have a fair bit of trouble with them on those cars.
I agree with Steve I had this issue awhile back and I put in the FRPS and it fixed the problem. I did not replace the fuel pump until I was losing top end power.
TURBO BABY!!!
SVThead

CrazySVTChick wrote:
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Well considering the cost difference and ease of install I'd lean towards the FRPS since that's what the actual code is for.

I agree with Steve I had this issue awhile back and I put in the FRPS and it fixed the problem. I did not replace the fuel pump until I was losing top end power.

all right, all right you convinced me. :lol:

Ordered. Just a note: I had to ask for Mike R. to get the right part. Apparently the guys who work non-performance tried to sell me a regular non-SVT version.

Part should get here for Friday. I'll do an oil change and a part install. hopefully this fixes it. :)
Steve@Tasca
Midget

SVThead wrote:Ordered. Just a note: I had to ask for Mike R. to get the right part. Apparently the guys who work non-performance tried to sell me a regular non-SVT version.

Part should get here for Friday. I'll do an oil change and a part install. hopefully this fixes it. :)
When it gets there just verify that it's P/N 3R3Z-9F972-AA, the catalog listing is wrong and I'm not sure Mike knows although his PC does have all my notes so hopefully he caught it.

SVThead

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
When it gets there just verify that it's P/N 3R3Z-9F972-AA, the catalog listing is wrong and I'm not sure Mike knows although his PC does have all my notes so hopefully he caught it.
Part showed up tonight. It's the right number. I'll get it installed tomorrow.
SVThead

New part installed (getting the screw out next to the fuel rail is a bit of a bitch), Ran it through the paces and it runs like a top. Thanks for the help everyone .