Has anyone tried this? (shifter mod)

For your Ford Focus related discussion
hermitmaster
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37x

I was thinking about threading the shift lever down a couple more inches and chopping it off about 1" - 1.5" shorter. I don't want to spend $100+ on a STS, but I want a slightly shorter throw.
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte
Car: 02 SVTF

I've seen it done before on other cars, and never heard of any problems. Just make sure you remove it from the car to do it. heh... seen that go bad before. lol... 94 jetta shifter and a riciprocating saw... :lol: good times...
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Yep, it works just fine. A bunch of people have done it. Just cut it and re-tap the thread.
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
KRYPTO
Car: 02 race car red SVT

A Short Throw Shifter actually moves the pivot point to create less upper movement and quicker shifts. By cutting the lever you will create a shorter lever but not a short throw shifter.
I would spend the money to get an actual one
hermitmaster

Geometry says you're wrong. The distance between two points on a triangle is directly related to the length of a side. Read: 1 is longer than 2. The only reason they move the pivot point is to reduce the amount of effort needed to shift.

*edit*
Geometry FTW!
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte

hermitmaster wrote: Geometry says you're wrong. The distance between two points on a triangle is directly related to the length of a side. Read: 1 is longer than 2. The only reason they move the pivot point is to reduce the amount of effort needed to shift.

*edit*
Geometry FTW!
Lol...
Maybe buy a super CHEAP short shifter, and then cut it... ooh?
Monkey-Gein
Car: 2007 Black ZX5

Stilz wrote:
hermitmaster wrote: Geometry says you're wrong. The distance between two points on a triangle is directly related to the length of a side. Read: 1 is longer than 2. The only reason they move the pivot point is to reduce the amount of effort needed to shift.

*edit*
Geometry FTW!
Lol...
zero turn shifter?
A friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so Yeah."
07 zx3 partout viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4607
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte

Monkey-Gein wrote:
Stilz wrote:

*edit*
Geometry FTW!
Lol...
zero turn shifter?
lol, idk. I know (thanks to a tiny meet in hudson a few years back with nils, randy and a couple others) I have a short shifter in my SVT... i had no clue. I am planning on doing this to mine as well... later this year maybe. When I'm bored this summer and have spare time. heh.
ZX2_racer
Car: Pitch Black 2007 ZX3 S

If I can talk myself into i'll just buy a Steeda one.
Eibach | Tokico | Ford Racing | Magnaflow | F2 USA | Steeda | Crane
KRYPTO
Car: 02 race car red SVT

all your doing is making it harder for you to shift and in return longer time to shift.
Steve@Tasca
Midget

A proper short throw is not only shorter on top but has a redesigned lower section which provides a shorter lever but also maintains proper leverage.

Cutting it down will make a difference but it won't work as well as a real short throw.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Stilz
Ask me about Enzyte

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:A proper short throw is not only shorter on top but has a redesigned lower section which provides a shorter lever but also maintains proper leverage.

Cutting it down will make a difference but it won't work as well as a real short throw.
SO...
A short throw that is cut... would that be double good? :lol:
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

I cut 2 some inches off mine.
Had a short throw from FC before (gave away free).
I didn't notice any ill effect or difference between the 2. Seems the effort part is all in the condition of your shift cables (mine are shit).

IIRC I threaded mine for 1/2 x 20, seemed to be a common pitch for aftermarket knobs.
--John
Monkey-Gein
Car: 2007 Black ZX5

i prefer my long throw..... :lol:
A friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so Yeah."
07 zx3 partout viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4607
hermitmaster

I'll most likely only take it down an inch. I mainly want the boot to look better with the shift knob I got from Steve, right now it looks a little stretched. I also want a shorter throw though.