D23E injectors in a zetec

For your Ford Focus related discussion
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Just swapped them and went for a short drive, about 5 miles.
Initial thoughts, frickin' awesome.
Took a little bit for the ECU to relearn, sure it's not done yet. Initially I was running pig rich, 10.6:1 at idle and who knows @ WOT. Took about a mile and a half for it to calm down some and now it's a nice 14-15 cruising and 11-12:1 @ WOT all the way to redline (7,200).
On the stockers I would run lean top end, 16:1 abouts.
Feels much better and far as the WBO2 says it's holding an AFR closer, ~.4 variance.

Still can't idle worth a shit and I've never figured that one out, was the same on the old injectors. Parts store says the alternator is shot, 30Amps @ idle and something about a diode being bad, dunno. What i do know though is if I pop the radiator cap it helps the idle, LOL. Women.

Anyways, I wanted the D23E injectors because they use a 12 hole design vs the traditional 4 hole design. Reason being is better fuel atomization which in turn should provide better combustion. For how smooth the car runs I'd say they work.

You SVT guys should be able to run them with no problems and if you can find some. I'm nearly up to SVT WHP levels, low to mid 140's untuned.

You'll need EV1 to EV6 adapters. Got mine off Ebay and they turned out to be a Ford Racing part. Maybe Steve can get a deal on them?

Gonna make a 60 mile trip tomorrow. I'll fill up before and after and see if my mileage improves or not. Was averaging 29MPG.
--John
PBZX3

Interesting stuff. Keep us updated on how the car runs as the computer adapts.
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

whats the flow for these? are they a big enough incresse to actually support any thing like say e85 with lets say around 12 psi of boost? and on the svt what are we looking at for benifits.also are these high or low impeadance. just some questions to throw out there.
Image wink wink.....bitches
iminhell

Flow seems to be a bit more than my stockers. I'm thinking 24# vs 19#. I was hoping they'd be big enough to run straight E85 but they aren't, least no W/O a tune. I'm going lean top end again. Straight gas I don't though, so I know they are bigger.
So they are probably the same size as stock SVT injectors.

The advantage isn't from the fuel though, it's from how the fuel is sprayed. The business end has smaller holes that provide a finner mist of fuel. That is supposed to create a more even burn with less rich/lean spots in the chamber, in theory.

They are high impedance, 14 Ohm, same as the stockers. So they drop in beside the EV1 to EV6 adapter you'll need.

Probably worthless to you guys but for us zetec folk I think it's worth the upgrade. Car drives much nicer.

... and E85 + 12psi you'll need a big injector, 60# or something close. I've got a set of 42# and I doubt they'd be big enough. (but if you want to try them shoot me an offer)
--John
focinite

i have no clue what i am gonna do, but i am gonna do something soon. i have 75% of what i need for a turbo or a centrif charger. but i still need to do the solid flywheel conversion and a LSD soo just in drive train im looking around 1800 bucks if i do all labor my self plus another 15oo bucks for the rest of the boost hardware and software. thats starting to get into the same cost to do a v8 rwd conversion. :? or...... i cant put a furnace and a A/C unit in the garge. dont know got a shit ton on ma plate. :(
hafftrak
Car: Chebby truck

I just did this today. Car fired right up and idled fine. Seemed to be a little boggy at the bottom end for the first few minutes, then it seemed to be okay. Don't really notice any more power, but it runs a whole lot smoother, especially at idle now.

Did you disconnect the battery after you put the new injectors in?

I've got four of the EV1 to EV6 adapters (they come in a pack of eight) if anyone else is interested in doing this mod.
Dean

PBZX3

hafftrak wrote:I've got four of the EV1 to EV6 adapters (they come in a pack of eight) if anyone else is interested in doing this mod.
I might be interested. I have four spare injectors for the 2.0 duratec. Is there any advantage to these over the stock zetec injectors?
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
hafftrak

I don't know about the 2.0 Duratec injectors, but the 2.3 Duratec PZEV injectors have 12 holes instead of four, and atomize the fuel better. I believe they are also 24# instead of the 19# stock Zetec injectors.
Dean

iminhell

I'm actually amazed that someone else tried something I've done.

Did you notice a bit more midrange TQ too?
--John
hafftrak

Still feels a little boggy on the bottom end this morning (having an automagic doesn't help), but the mid and top end seems stronger. I went out on 280 last night and did a couple WOT runs (shut it down at 70, I'd like to keep my license), and the intake noise is louder as well. I filled it up last night, I'll report back in a week or two if mileage increased at all.
Dean

focinite

hmmmmmm now i wanna try.
focusfan
Car: 2001 Silver ZX3

I would like to try this as well. A few questions though. I'm still pretty new to all of this. My ZX3 auto. tranny focus is still pretty stock..(focus sport headers and exhaust and cai is all I have for performance at the time. I'm wondering if you need a tune and all sorts of other stuff after you put in the injectors or is it just put in injectors with adapter and you're set? Also reliability is an issue so I'm wondering if this affects it. One more question is where can you buy D23E injectors?
spots25

did anybody ever decide what it did to their fuel economy?
00' Kona
zurno
Got any WoW pron?
Car: ZX4x4

spots25 wrote:did anybody ever decide what it did to their fuel economy?
penis
hafftrak

Mine stayed about the same. It may be a bit different on a car that's been modified a bit though.
Dean