contour tuning :(

For your Ford Focus related discussion
ClOckwOrkSVT

so. here's the status. I was going to buy a sniper tuning special forces setup, so i could do my own tuning. Turns out, their special forces kit (389$) does everything i want MINUS spark/fuel timing via RPM. you have to pay extra for that feature. it will do global timing changes, and global fuel trim changs (no thank you!) so i'm going a different route.

I think i may buy an xcal 2 or Xcal 3 and have a dyno tune done. then later on, get a pro racer package (379 for the xcal unit, + tuning for now) then when i boost the car, i will buy a pro racer package (another 349, for full adjustability).
i hear great things about shane at DB, but when i went to him last year, he kinda turned me away. mostly because he has never tuned a 3L contour and mine has MANY things changed/modified that will take time to tune. i think it was more a cost effectiveness for him. i think he would do it, but i just think he couldnt gurarantee me any gains so was kinda leary about doing it for me. seems kinda weird, as i hear he is a great tuner?

so anyways, who have you guys gone to, and what systems have you used?
My other option is going to hitech (500$ after tax for a flip switch chip and 1-2 hours dyno tuning depending on how many pulls are needed to reach my goals)
i don't want a flip switch so i'm kinda worried about this option...............
ClOckwOrkSVT

however, the bonus to the hitech route is the guy that'd tune my car is the guy that tuned chris (blackcoog)'s supercharged 3L and knows his stuff, they guarantee me +25 whp gain and great drivability or they will give me a huge discount. LOL.
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

First and foremost, it's not about gains it's about safety. So what if you want to gain HP from a tune. If that tune is on the ragged edge of detonation you may as well kiss the engine buh-bye. Oh and then there are those who over fuel because they can't manage the timing tables correct.

Far as what you need or who to go to, I haven't the foggiest. Though DB was a decent Ford shop though?
Could always contact http://www.dynotuneusa.com/ and talk with Andy. I know he's a big Ford guy.
--John
Steve@Tasca
Midget

DB did a great job on Nils car.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Shane doesn't tune Ford cars, so I'm not surprised if he wasn't interested in talking to you.

Talk to Dan.
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Redlineracer12
I is speshul
Car: 00 Contour SVT

I'm planning on bringing mine to DB when I get around to a dyno tune. The Xcal is better than a chip IMO.
3 Fords, 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha
ClOckwOrkSVT

iminhell wrote:First and foremost, it's not about gains it's about safety. So what if you want to gain HP from a tune. If that tune is on the ragged edge of detonation you may as well kiss the engine buh-bye. Oh and then there are those who over fuel because they can't manage the timing tables correct.

Far as what you need or who to go to, I haven't the foggiest. Though DB was a decent Ford shop though?
Could always contact http://www.dynotuneusa.com/ and talk with Andy. I know he's a big Ford guy.
your funny. you'd have to understand that its not about safety here.

my car is a 3L with tons of crap changed. it runs extremely rich, and needs more timing. the purpose of a tune would be for performance, because my setup is calibrated for a 2.5L with emissions, and split port induction, with a manifold runner control.

however my engine is a 3.0 oval port with no emissions, no egr, etc. :) its all about power for me.
ClOckwOrkSVT

well i made my appointment at DB. dan will be taking care of me. i was quoted for 3 hours dyno time and an xcal3 (i have nothing to tune with as of now)

so about 800$ later i'll be tuned, lol. at least half that cost is in the xcal though. i'll upgrade to a pro racer package whenever i need to retune (when i boost it)
ClOckwOrkSVT

we are tuned boys and girls. was hoping for more than this, i think i'm limited by my intake manifold.

blue is before, red is after. dan at DB took care of me. used an xcal3 and 3hours dyno time.

Steve@Tasca
Midget

No can see pic from work, numbers?

MNiceGuy
Car: 2005 Pitch Black ZX5

I'd call it approx 5-7ft hp and ft lbs more after the tune.
ClOckwOrkSVT

um, maybe at the peak. across the powerband, i gained between 10 and 20 ft/lbs, and about 10hp across the board :)

edit: steve if you can't see it, its 219 hp, 211 ft/lbs
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Not bad at all and better yet you know you have a good safe tune.

ClOckwOrkSVT

yeah i had lean codes at cruising speed. good to know that is fixed.

i might run out there for an EGR blockoff, if i get out there i'll bring the sheets so you can see :)
MNiceGuy
Car: 2005 Pitch Black ZX5

ClOckwOrkSVT wrote:um, maybe at the peak. across the powerband, i gained between 10 and 20 ft/lbs, and about 10hp across the board :)

edit: steve if you can't see it, its 219 hp, 211 ft/lbs
Yeah you're right I was just eying up peak power. You got nice gains lower in the band I neglected to mention ;)