New tires for the 17" EAPs?

For your Ford Focus related discussion
MAT

I'll be picking up my rims from the powdercoater today. So now I need to decide on tires. I liked the Pirelli P nero zeros but was wondering if there is a better option. I wasn't all that crazy about the treadwear of the Pirellis but I did auto x them a few times so that can't help much. I think I like the BS Potenza RE960AS Pole Position but they are expensive. I don't want any chinese made crap either, and it has to be what Steve sells since I plan to buy from him again.

ps. I don't normally drive in the winter but don't want to be in trouble if I have to with crappy tires.
MAT
Roberts, WI
05 ZX3 SES Infra-red (It's hot!)

Mods: Crane Stg 1 cams, F2 Header, Marcy CAI, Borla cat-back exhaust, FocusSport ECU tuning, SVT suspension, 17" FRPP rally wheels
(I'm just getting warmed up!)
o2designs
Making skinny jeans look baggy since 2009
Car: Bone Stock Focuseses

Um, the the Potenza's are great tires...but I seriously have to ask, whats wrong with 'crap Jap' tires? Some of the best all around or high performance tires for the street are made by Japan manufactures.

I guess I would need to know what tires Steve can get before I made a full decision...
Pants too tight, wheels so bright!
mhines88
Car: 04 Silver w/blue SVTF

i got some goodyear eagle GT tires from a ford dealership in STC so maybe you could get them. i love my tires and they look nice. also they perform well on dry tar and great in snow :)

Silver Frost SVTF w/ blue lightning bolt
Short ram w/ minor exhaust work
!!SOLD!!
harold
Car: '06 BMW 330i

o2designs wrote:Um, the the Potenza's are great tires...but I seriously have to ask, whats wrong with 'crap Jap' tires? Some of the best all around or high performance tires for the street are made by Japan manufactures.
He did say Chinese, not Japanese. There are a lot of crappy Chinese tires on eBay for ridiculously low prices, they're just not any good. I would have figured the wheel whore would know that. :P
Focus: singular
Foci: plural
Not interchangeable
o2designs

There is American crap as well...the OP was'nt very specific on what he wanted or did'nt want from that statement...
harold

o2designs wrote:There is American crap as well...the OP wasn't very specific on what he wanted or didn't want from that statement...
I'm not saying there isn't American crap. I know about Firehawks. It's pretty easy to infer from his statement that he's talking about the cheap Chinese tires that pop up on eBay, though. The good tire:bad tire ratio for American and Japanese manufacturers is a lot higher than for Chinese manufacturers.
Not interchangeable
MAT

Aren't Kumos made in China? I have to admit most of my tire experience is on motorcycles, and those chinese tires even smell different than the quality stuff.
MAT
Roberts, WI

Mods: Crane Stg 1 cams, F2 Header, Marcy CAI, Borla cat-back exhaust, FocusSport ECU tuning, SVT suspension, 17" FRPP rally wheels
harold

MAT wrote:Aren't Kumos made in China? I have to admit most of my tire experience is on motorcycles, and those chinese tires even smell different than the quality stuff.
Korea, actually. They've been in the business since the '60s. Kumho makes some good tires.
Not interchangeable
dschlei

what size tires are you looking for exactly? i work at tires plus in maplewood and i can find out what or if i could get you a deal on some...personally i would love to get a set of re960's but even for me they are too spendy...check out the re760 sport its a pretty nice looking tire and one of my co workers had them on his saturn ion and just loved them and how they handeled
o2designs

I've loved my Kuhmos. I'm actually running a set now that are great. Not in snow, but they were'nt made for that...

Falken and Toyo are the other good brands I've ran that are'nt made in US. I have a set of BFG's, I was'nt impressed with them, they ride like truck tires and louder then hell. I'd say I've had better luck and better tires from Japan and over sea companies...
dschlei

i will have to agree that the bfg's are loud and atleast in my experience they wore out extremely fast i got a new set last may and by the time i put my snow tires on they were worn down....and the rears wore out faster than the fronts which i have no idea how that happens in a fwd car
Patalrob
Borlatap
Car: 06 Wagon, 02 SVTF, 00 ZX3

dschlei wrote:i will have to agree that the bfg's are loud and atleast in my experience they wore out extremely fast i got a new set last may and by the time i put my snow tires on they were worn down....and the rears wore out faster than the fronts which i have no idea how that happens in a fwd car
Usally your alinement is off then if your rear tires wore out faster.

I had put lowering springs in my Focus last year and the rear tires were gone in a couple thousand miles and they only had 18000 on them.
00 ZX3 "RattleTrap"
06 Wagon Doggy mover
95 Chevy Silverado Tow rig for lawn mowers
02 SVTF ...........
dschlei

my alignments good i check it every few months even though it is lowered all my angles are in spec
MAT

The standard size tire for the SVT rim is 215/45/17? I forgot to look at my old tires before I took them off. Anybody running the Kuhmo ASX? Maybe I shouldn't give up on what I know is good...
MAT
Roberts, WI

Redlineracer12
I is speshul
Car: 00 Contour SVT

MAT wrote:The standard size tire for the SVT rim is 215/45/17? I forgot to look at my old tires before I took them off. Anybody running the Kuhmo ASX? Maybe I shouldn't give up on what I know is good...
I'm 90% sure that's the right size.

I have a friend that loved those Kuhmo ASX's. He ran them year round on his WRX.
3 Fords, 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha