seatbelt tensioners pop, replace airbag computer?

For your Ford Focus related discussion
rabidcrow
Car: 03 svt

Ok,
so about a week ago I slid into a curb at 30MPH and messed some stuff up. I got it back together (drivable) but still have to replace the seatbelts. So heres my question. If just the seatbelt tensioners pop, and not the airbags, do I still have to replace the airbag computer? Or can I just get it reprogramed at Ford or something? (airbag light is on) Also, my brake lights stay on all the time when the ignitons on. (headlights on/off, brakes on/off) Could this be because I haven't fixed the seatbelts yet? or another problem?
Thanks for all your help,
Eric
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Start off with the belts and see what happens, if the light stays on you need a new monitor.

As for the brake light? Check your ABS sensor wiring.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Redlineracer12
I is speshul
Car: 00 Contour SVT

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:As for the brake light? Check your ABS sensor wiring.
Also you have the alien hatchback right? Check the wiring between the hatch and the body of the car, just pull down that rubber tube and you should be able to get at the wires. I read that the insulation for those are cracked a lot, so you might have a short back there.
3 Fords, 1 Mercury, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

If you hit the curb hard enough to set off the seat belt re-tension, the impact sensor might have been tripped. Is your airbag light on? If you hit the side, the front crash sensor probably wasn't tripped, however the sensor inside the airbag module is probably tripped causing you to have to replace the module.
rabidcrow

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:Start off with the belts and see what happens, if the light stays on you need a new monitor.

As for the brake light? Check your ABS sensor wiring.
Is there any chance I could pop the new seatbelts by pluging them in and not changing anything else? Or is there a fail safe of some kind?
Also, my car doesn't have ABS
redline wrote: Also you have the alien hatchback right? Check the wiring between the hatch and the body of the car, just pull down that rubber tube and you should be able to get at the wires. I read that the insulation for those are cracked a lot, so you might have a short back there.
ya, I have the alien. :) It's been a great car... So you think the airbag light and brake lights have nothing in common? I'll check for a short in that wiring tomorrow and get back to you.
focusmech wrote: If you hit the curb hard enough to set off the seat belt re-tension, the impact sensor might have been tripped. Is your airbag light on? If you hit the side, the front crash sensor probably wasn't tripped, however the sensor inside the airbag module is probably tripped causing you to have to replace the module.
I hit the outside curb making a left hand corner, front pass wheel first. then pretty much draged the driver side wheel off. (broke control arm, tie rod, end link...)
The airbag light is on...
FocusMech.73155

If the seat belt tensioners went off, there was a crash sensor tripped. you need to have the vehicle scanned for codes and find out which one it is. hopefully it is the front impact sensor and not the one in the airbag module. If you install the new seat belts, you shouldn't have a problem with them blowing, however its not going to turn off the airbag light. Have it scanned for codes and find out which sensor tripped.
Monkey Gein
Car: 07 Silver ZX3/07 Black ZX

alien focus????? can the crash code be cleared with the free scanner you can use at aap or something
FocusMech.73155

the code is stored in the airbag module, so the only way to get rid of the code is to replace the airbag module. you will need to use a ford specific IDS computer to program the module
rabidcrow

thanks for your help focusmech... I'll let you all know how it all turns out
rabidcrow

Mmmk, little update.
New seatbelts are in, but the lights still on. Guess I need a new computer :(

Steve, can the computer be programed for my car at the dealership, then sold to me to install? Or do I have to buy it, install, then go back to the dealership for programing?

The brake lights was an easy one. The micro switch at the pedal popped off. I just put it back in the socket and twisted and all is well.

I'm getting my snow tires mounted tomorrow, and will be driving the zx3 everyday again YES!

Thanks all for your help