I probably shouldn't be this happy but....

For your Ford Focus related discussion
Doughboy
her name is kelsey.

I'm pretty sure I just stopped someone on Focaljet from buying a shorblock from Tom. :twisted: 8) :twisted:

I kinda doubt he'll ever see this post so I'll throw up how the private messages went:

from lourenco on Focaljet:
"Hi Eric,

I am planning on buying a short block from Tom. I would like to know how is the short block working out? I know you had shipping problems with recieving the block, but I just want to see if he built it okay.

Thanks,

william."

My reply:
"To be perfectly honest, I could not in good faith recommend buying anything from Tom after all the troubles I had. It took me over 8 1/2 months to get a working shortblock from him. The first was destroyed by UPS (after an extremely delayed shipment on his part) and the second had a pin hole in the cylinder wall that we didn't discover until we had rebuilt the entire motor. I asked him to build me a new shortblock and ship it to me so we could do the swap in one day (this was already 7 months after I had overnighted him a check so I could get my parts quicker. He refused and said that he needed the parts out of the one I had before he could build me another. So we had to pull the entire motor out again, tear it down, ship it back out to him, and wait for it to come back. Needless to say I wasn't very happy about it. He also said that he would pay for the shipping/fluids/gaskets/etc. ($160) that I had to rebuy due to the first block being bad- I still have not seen that money to this day. He was supposed to send a check with the MIC that was also late, but it wasn't with that shipment. Every time I asked about it he avoided the question. I was supposed to send him my block and crank but I will not do so being that he still owes me that money.
I also spent over a month trying at least 12 different programs from his MIC setup (with a scantool hooked up to the car) and could NOT get that to work either. When I said that we'd tried about all we could and asked for a refund so I could seek other solutions, he just said "I don't do refunds". So now I have a $815 paperweight in my garage.

There's wayyy more to the story but I just can't write it all out in type.

As far as how the block itself is- the first one had a hole in the cylider wall, blew coolant into cylinder #1, had to be pulled, torn down, shipped back to NC, and replaced. The second one (8 months after the order was placed) is in the car and is running fine. I drove the car to Detriot and had Lidio at Alternative Auto Performance tune the car (w/ 42lb injectors, chip, and stock MAF) on the street. I would highly recommend him to anyone thinking of having a car tuned. It put down 187whp and 214wtq on his dyno at 8.5psi out of the Aerocharger.

If I had to do it all over again, I would obviously NOT buy it from Tom- I would order the components individually and build it myself with the help of local machine shops and race engine builders. It would have been cheaper and a lot less hastle. You can also check out Marcy Motorsports as I've heard they will do a package for you as well.

If you have any other ?'s, let me know and I'll be happy to help."

He just sent me back a PM:
"Thanks for the information. I don't really want to wait a long time since Tom might make a mistake. I will do what your recommending. I was kind of thinking of the same thing since of everything I read on focaljet about your engine and the other engine Tom made. I think Marcy Motorsports or a local shop here in florida will do a better job. I have never heard anything bad about marcy."

HeHe!
Believe me- after 8 1/2 months and 4 engine blocks, the car definitely earned the name Debacle.

I don't like Tom (and neither should you).
noresull

Sweet :twisted:
2005 ZX3 SES Winter package and Audiphile package
2000 ZX3 CD Silver. Esslinger UDP, Diablosport Chip, S2 Wheels springs and dampers, SVT front bumper
umdivx
Car: 2007 Ford Fusion SEL AWD

I just hate how Tom never posts anything relative in most of the main sites like Club Focus, Focal Jet, or Focus Fanatics but all of the sudden you see a post from Tom like "you get get my Stage 1 turbo kit and push out 400hp" what a bunch of BS. If I was ever to turbo my car i'd first build up the engine and bullet proof it at my buddies machine shop in Ramsey, then I'd buy the main components and install it myself or hire a local shop to help me with the piping install, then I'd take it to a reputapal (sp?) tuing shop to have them tune my car.
trahma
has a blownup bomb
Car: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

umdivx wrote: I just hate how Tom never posts anything relative in most of the main sites like Club Focus, Focal Jet, or Focus Fanatics but all of the sudden you see a post from Tom like "you get get my Stage 1 turbo kit and push out 400hp" what a bunch of BS. If I was ever to turbo my car i'd first build up the engine and bullet proof it at my buddies machine shop in Ramsey, then I'd buy the main components and install it myself or hire a local shop to help me with the piping install, then I'd take it to a reputapal (sp?) tuing shop to have them tune my car.

Actually Tom does lots of posting and gives lots of information on Club Focus. He's always helping people answering questions about their forced induction setups. Yes he pushes his stage 1 kit, but he never claims 400hp with it.

Even though people have problems, there's no denying Tom knows his stuff. I feel as though its more of a customer service issue. Eric correct me if I'm wrong. Granted he couldn't tune Eric's AC3 setup, but lots of people still have had good experiences with him. I guarantee though that he's better than alot of the people out there claiming to tune the Focus. If John or Eric disagree with me on this, let me know. I'm going completely on what I've heard from other people.

Tuning is a magic and locally, nobody is that experienced when it comes to tuning a focus. Much like what Eric has done, eventually I'll probably end up taking my car to Lidio.
umdivx
Car: 2007 Ford Fusion SEL AWD

Granted I dont have a turbo and I dont plan on getting one any time soon (damn fucking college loans) but you dont see me hijacking ppl's posts to sell my computer support services. I havnt been haging out on Club Focus long but I've seen my fair share of hijacked threads from Tom, Im sure he knows his shit but when it comes to customer service like you said he's probably got his head up his ass. I dunno I just dont like someone trying to sell shit in a situation where its not needed.
Doughboy
her name is kelsey.

trahma wrote:
umdivx wrote:I just hate how Tom never posts anything relative in most of the main sites like Club Focus, Focal Jet, or Focus Fanatics but all of the sudden you see a post from Tom like "you get get my Stage 1 turbo kit and push out 400hp" what a bunch of BS. If I was ever to turbo my car i'd first build up the engine and bullet proof it at my buddies machine shop in Ramsey, then I'd buy the main components and install it myself or hire a local shop to help me with the piping install, then I'd take it to a reputapal (sp?) tuing shop to have them tune my car.

Actually Tom does lots of posting and gives lots of information on Club Focus. He's always helping people answering questions about their forced induction setups. Yes he pushes his stage 1 kit, but he never claims 400hp with it.

Even though people have problems, there's no denying Tom knows his stuff. I feel as though its more of a customer service issue. Eric correct me if I'm wrong. Granted he couldn't tune Eric's AC3 setup, but lots of people still have had good experiences with him. I guarantee though that he's better than alot of the people out there claiming to tune the Focus. If John or Eric disagree with me on this, let me know. I'm going completely on what I've heard from other people.

Tuning is a magic and locally, nobody is that experienced when it comes to tuning a focus. Much like what Eric has done, eventually I'll probably end up taking my car to Lidio.

I in no way doubt that Tom is probably a mastermind when it comes to the Focus, it's engine, it's potential, and it's issues. He knows the car- he just DOES NOT KNOW customer service. The only issues I've had with him is the way he handled my engine debacle, the way he comes across in his posts on the boards, and the way he pushes his own product in other people's threads. He can give some really good advice and knowledge, but it usually comes across as "I know all and my way is always right".
Believe me- after 8 1/2 months and 4 engine blocks, the car definitely earned the name Debacle.

I don't like Tom (and neither should you).