Alarm and Audio ideas

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
MadCat
Car: 01 Black Cougar C2

Got the Cougar fixed up....so now moving on to the little things.
I have the factory keyless entry on the car right now but it hardly ever works. I have to be right next to the car to get it to work. So I am thinking itll prolly be cheaper to just get an aftermarket system rather than just fix the factory. I would like to get remote start and keyless entry plus the LDC display remote to show if anyone hits your car or is messing with it, but I have heard some....lets call them myths with these systems. Remote starters dont work, can catch the car on fire, will destroy gas mileage, cause electrical issues. LCD displays arent accurate on the point of damage, dont alert right away or at all, cause electrical issues... bla bla bla. Anyone have any ideas on brands to go with? Specific model? I was looking into Viper but I don't know a whole lot about these systems. Any recommednations on places or anyone on here who could install it for me? I'm not too sharp with the electrical work on cars.

I have the C2 cougar with the french blue accent interior. My CD player ( 6 disc factory) I think is getting ready to crap out. Today I went to eject a disc and it kept saying CD error. About 3 hours later as I am driving the disk popped out! I have been a little hesitant to try put any CDs back in just in the event that I cant get them out. I like the face plate on the deck in there, but I HAVE TO HAVE a sound system in my car. Any ideas on brands ect. I know I've been struggling to find a deck that will fit my car though too. Another factor into this. Ideally dont want to spend more than 250 on the deck itself. I have the hook up for woofers and amp but haven't gotten around to putting any into the system/car.

Just curious to know what you all think.
---MadCat---
hermitmaster
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37x

As stated, most of the issues you mentioned are myths. A remote start/alarm will work wonderfully and for a long time if installed by a properly trained technician. That being said, I highly recommend you visit the link in my sig. I've known Tom (the shop owner/manager) for about 10 years and he really knows his stuff. Just to forewarn you, to get all the bells and whistles expect to spend $350 - $500 going into it. As for brand, anything by Directed Electronics (DEI, Viper, Clifford, etc) will work fine. The only non-DEI brand I could recommend is CompuStar. Good luck.
MadCat
Car: 01 Black Cougar C2

thank you! I aooreciate it. I was going for $250 for the system expecting that the install would cost a good chunk of change! lol
---MadCat---
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

MadCat wrote:Got the Cougar fixed up....so now moving on to the little things.
I have the factory keyless entry on the car right now but it hardly ever works. I have to be right next to the car to get it to work.
Two things:
1) Did you check the battery in the remote? weak battery = weak signal.
2) Point the remote toward your chin when activating (while facing the car, of course). Yes, I am serious. I heard of this on Car Talk, and it works. There must be something about our body/head that amplifies the signal. This trick will approximately double the range of the remote for my SVTF.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Timmers
Car: 2002 Ford Focus Wagon

I will say, do NOT let best buy install anything in your car.

check out herm's sig, mach audio is decent too.