Looking for help

For your Ford Focus related discussion
newzx4guy
Car: 1999 Black CSVT

I would like to increase torque. We have a zx5 with a zetec. The end result I am after is not to have to open the throttle as much to accelerate from 0-65mph. The one thing that is binding me is that I share this car with my wife so we can not affect drivability or increase the exhaust noise. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for all of the help
Jon
Miller
Car: 02 Black SVT Focus

Unfortunately that is one of the downfalls of 4 cylinder engines.

A tune may help, but it wouldn't be drastic.
newzx4guy

i know lol. I was going to try a tune and maybe see if cam gears would help move to torque down a bit in the rpm range?
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

I have a set of zetec adjustable cam gears for sale. Let me know if you are interested.....
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
spots25

forced induction... or a 2.5 v6 swap
00' Kona
newzx4guy

I am sorry i didn't state this in the first post. My plan was to increase mpg but reducing how far i have to open the throttle while accelerating and cruising. While your suggestion of a 2.5 swap would be awesome it's just not in the cards for us right now.
PBZX3

I know you were talking about ZX2 cams in your other thread so heres a thought. The Ford Racing stage 1 cams may be what you’re looking for. I've never had these so this is hypothetical. The .050 duration is only changed 4 degrees on the intake cam and 1 degree on the exhaust cam. The small change in durations will not affect the low end torque much (10 degree increase in duration raises the torque curve 500rpm). The much more aggressive grind of the FR1's should increase the low/mid range torque which should allow for less throttle to accomplish the same acceleration. The larger lift will also allow the car to pull harder at the top end (when you need it) instead of falling on it's face at about 6000rpm.
FR1's, adjustable cam gears and an hour on a dyno and you should be able to set your torque curve to what you’re looking for.
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
newzx4guy

Thank you that's exactly the info I was looking for. The zx2 cam idea was only because I have a zx2 sitting in my driveway that is dead atm.

Also would a remote tune from fswerks be worth it? Or for what I am looking for would a dyno tune be a better route to go?

How much sound does the volant intake put out and would it be worth it for what I am looking for?
PBZX3

I'm not sure what Randy at FSW can accomplish with mpg and torque with a remote tune. You'd porbably need to do some research on FJ or call him for those answers.

Cam gears and dyno time can work if you get the right combination of intake and exhaust overlap. I'm not sure how much you can move the torque curve with the stock cams.

The volant is not loud (I have it on my 2001). You would see a small increase in performance and mileage.
Paul

Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
newzx4guy

awesome thank you. I think my plan right now is cam gears and tune (pending prices.) If I am still not there then I will go with from what I've read would be stage 2 cams from either fr or crane.
PBZX3

The FR and Crane cams are the exact same cams. If you go that route, by the ones you can get the best deal on.
Paul

newzx4guy

I have a FR UDP would that fit on the focus? Would it be worth it to throw on there?
Steve@Tasca
Midget

newzx4guy wrote:I have a FR UDP would that fit on the focus? Would it be worth it to throw on there?
Only if you can deal with the decrease in A/C performance at idle/low speed.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

spray tha shid outta it. drives fine for wify the arm it and knock the pistons loose! wheeeeew ! mer-ickah ! :lol:
Image wink wink.....bitches