Extracting a bolt using a wire feed welder

For your Ford Focus related discussion
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

I thought I would post pictures to explain my recommendations I had in the thread "oops". I am currently repairing a "transmission oops" for CrazySVTChick. Unfortunately, Ford does not have a repair manuel for the 6speed transmission because they just replace them when things go wrong. So.....while i was taking the tranny innards appart, I took out a bolt........which unbenounced to me was reverse thread and "oops" I broke it by turning it the wrong way. The bolt broke off in the case below the hole, so I tackwelded the bolt up until it was protruding from the hole and I could grab it with a vice grip. The main thing to remember is to not get it to hot. Tack then let it cool, tack then let it cool, tack then.....you get the picture. With the heat from the welder, the bolt was able to be loosened easily. This method works amazing when the bolt breaks in aluminum because the weld will not stick to the aluminum. It will also work when the bolt is broken in steel, but you have to be very careful not to actually weld the bolt into the hole because that will open up a big can of worms. The final result looks like this
Patalrob
Borlatap
Car: 06 Wagon, 02 SVTF, 00 ZX3

Nice work! Been there and done that before :lol:
00 ZX3 "RattleTrap"
06 Wagon Doggy mover
95 Chevy Silverado Tow rig for lawn mowers
02 SVTF ...........
WASaZX3pos
Car: 01 Canary Yellow zzzZX3

Patalrob wrote:Nice work! Been there and done that before :lol:
ditto