re-route power steering line?

For your Ford Focus related discussion
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

How much pressure is this guy under?

Can I just cut the hard line, splice in what I need with soft line, double clamp it and it'll hold W/O leaking?

What I'm thinking is run the pressure line off the bottom of the pump up to the bumper support, through the inner fender and out the hole under the fuse box. Same for the return and one of those heater hose lines. Should clean up the bay a bit is my hope.
Just sitting here trying to figure out how to do it cheap, heater hose is easy, probably move that tree thing too. But the P/S line I'm not sure on. I know I can have a line made or I could just do hard line the whole way and leave some soft spots for flex (which is what I'd like to do, I figure some bulk 3/8" steel line should work).

Figure it's about time I do this.
--John
HotRodWagon
Cajun Mafia
Car: 01 Street Wagon/02 ZTW

Don't know. Good project though.
...always in focus...
...costra nostra tobasco
tgnorman
Car: 2008 VW GLI

I wonder if AN line would hold enough pressure? Spendy, but it looks cool.
2008 Bone Stock VW GLI

2004 Sonic Blue SVT ZX3, #1593 of 1978 Born 4/8/04
Stage 2 ported TB, Semi-custom Borla center exit, FSWerks CAI, FS front strut bar, suspension by FR/Multimatic
gone, but not forgotten
iminhell

I'm sure it would apart from where it attaches to the rack. That looks to be a flange deal of some sort. Pressure and return are on one plate that bolts to the rack. More 'stupid Ford' far as I'm concerned.
--John
tgnorman
Car: 2008 VW GLI

iminhell wrote:I'm sure it would apart from where it attaches to the rack. That looks to be a flange deal of some sort. Pressure and return are on one plate that bolts to the rack. More 'stupid Ford' far as I'm concerned.
If it's a flange that bolts to the rack, I imagine you could either machine a new one with threads on it, or tig weld a fitting onto it.

Now you've got me thinking.....hasn't really been a cleanly tucked focus engine bay, I might have to drink beer and stare at it for a while, get some ideas for routing...
2008 Bone Stock VW GLI

2004 Sonic Blue SVT ZX3, #1593 of 1978 Born 4/8/04
Stage 2 ported TB, Semi-custom Borla center exit, FSWerks CAI, FS front strut bar, suspension by FR/Multimatic
gone, but not forgotten
iminhell

Screw staring at yours. Here's mine for you to enjoy :lol:

This is the flange,

Here's the hole I'ma try and shove everything through,

You figure you get rid of 3 lines you're left with 1 heater hose line and the wiring. If I where smart I'd just tuck all the wiring away and use something to fool the ECU (I don't use either of those O2's or the fan wiring, or the EGR, or the cruise, or the A/C, christ I could get rid of a lot of shit, LOL).
It's a damn never ending battle I tell ya.
--John
Steve@Tasca
Midget

I'm pretty sure a double clamped hose isn't going to work, it might hold for a while but I can almost gaurantee it'll pick the absolute most inopportune time to pop off and leave you stranded or with an oil fire under your hood.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
iminhell

Gettin' there,

--John
trahma
has a blownup bomb
Car: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

The power steering line is a mthrfkr.
reconstruction.
iminhell

I got the wiring moved. I had to add 8" to a few of the wires, should have added a bit more (about 16" would be perfect and give some slack).
I can't find any place to hide this stupid hood release cable though. I can't remember where it was routed stock, swore it was in the inner fender (I'm on my 3rd cable, all replaced by Ford). So it stays on the engine side of the inner fender.

--John
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

the hard line is for cooling only. the pressure may spike at around 100psi. you should be fine using high press soft line. 8)
Image wink wink.....bitches
iminhell

Boy are you wrong ... soooooooo wrong.

At idle the pressure side is around 300psi. Turning the wheel it'll spike up to 600psi. The system has a max rated pressure of 800psi. Believe that's what I'd read at least.

Anyways, you're late to the party. Didn't pan out, line blew off. Said screw it and bypassed the pump and left the pump run dry. Well that tore up the bearing pretty good (no shit). And now I'm broke down. My own stupid fault for being a cheap ass, but I wouldn't have it any other way :lol: .

Gonna have a buddy do some welding for me and make a dummy pulley.

er did you talk to someone who told you all this already? (which would be really weird as only a few people know it)
--John
trahma
has a blownup bomb
Car: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

The power steering line has been the bane of my system for quite a while. Always had leaks in it and never really solved them. I think I did now but we'll see. Realistically I wish I could just find a local shop and pay them to do it so I can bring it back to them when it breaks again. It's annoying as shit.
reconstruction.
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

iminhell wrote:Boy are you wrong ... soooooooo wrong.

At idle the pressure side is around 300psi. Turning the wheel it'll spike up to 600psi. The system has a max rated pressure of 800psi. Believe that's what I'd read at least.

Anyways, you're late to the party. Didn't pan out, line blew off. Said screw it and bypassed the pump and left the pump run dry. Well that tore up the bearing pretty good (no shit). And now I'm broke down. My own stupid fault for being a cheap ass, but I wouldn't have it any other way :lol: .

Gonna have a buddy do some welding for me and make a dummy pulley.

er did you talk to someone who told you all this already? (which would be really weird as only a few people know it)
ha sorry fogot the fist nuber one as in elven hundred but still wrong. youd think two fuel injector clamps wooda held.hmmmmmm wounder if the hose was rated right? possible kink or collapse and over pressure.
Image wink wink.....bitches