Auto-x prep

For your Ford Focus related discussion
Miller
Car: 02 Black SVT Focus

he is by far the worse driver of the bunch.
08SE
Car: 08 Fusion SE V6 Silver

another one that nobody has mentioned: BRAKES. on stock setups a couple laps and they will be gone. and you pull a Car and Driver move right into a wall.

I would say if I was to track a car I'd do the following:

Upgrade brakes (pads, rotors, fluid to DOT 4, and maybe braided lines)
Tires, a lil wider, and stickier
Suspension: depending on current setup, maybe just endlinks that are questionable all the way to all new all the way around (and everywhere in between). all in how much better you wanna be, there is the point of diminishing return though. Also in the suspension category, if your stuff is factory from new and you have more than say 50k, after a day running laps, you may need new anyway.

Lastly, the one that is the biggest help: PRACTICE. High speed driving is like shooting handguns, you have to do it to get good. Yes, there are some naturals, but few and far between.
2008 Ford Fusion SE V6, Silver. When in doubt let some smoke out...
Miller

This isn't a road course, it's a auto-x. Just short, never even hit 30 probably. My brakes are going to be just fine, only thing I'm worried about is tires. I need to replace mine cuz they're pretty weather cracked, but don't have money to spend 200 a tire.
08SE
Car: 08 Fusion SE V6 Silver

I thought it said something about "high-speed auto-x" as in you run hot laps, whats the point of going slow around a track.

Then again, I was speaking more in general about any type of track event, the types of things I'd do. These are all things my buddy did to his Z before his first track event, minus the suspension, now he put in a new suspension, he'll replace front pads and bleed the fluid, and he got new tires in the spring. He's ready for track day.
2008 Ford Fusion SE V6, Silver. When in doubt let some smoke out...
o2designs
Making skinny jeans look baggy since 2009
Car: Bone Stock Focuseses

08SE wrote:I thought it said something about "high-speed auto-x" as in you run hot laps, whats the point of going slow around a track.

Then again, I was speaking more in general about any type of track event, the types of things I'd do. These are all things my buddy did to his Z before his first track event, minus the suspension, now he put in a new suspension, he'll replace front pads and bleed the fluid, and he got new tires in the spring. He's ready for track day.
Ok, a 'track' day is different then autoX. Yes, a stock brake setup will suck ass for a full 'track day'. But autoX is all low speed(50mph top speed). You make one lap, which is on average under a minute long. And thru out the day you get 6(on average) runs.

Unless the OP's brakes are shot, there is no reason to put alot of money like that into the brakes of an SVT. If you upgrade the brake compound to something harder, your only making the car worse because by the time the brakes heat up enough to the range they need to be, your lap is over.
Pants too tight, wheels so bright!
Miller

Plus, I'm a broke ass college kid.

Just need to get some new tires, with a decent compound to them.

What would a good daily driver tire with a decent amount of highway driving, and something sticky enough for auto-x be?

Lookin at Dunlop SP SportMax TT and Kumho XS. Same price but the Dunlops come with a 80 mail in rebate.

Also considering the HTRZ III's. The wear rating suggests a stiffer compound tire though.
o2designs
Making skinny jeans look baggy since 2009
Car: Bone Stock Focuseses

R Comps are good.

Or Azeni or Direzzas should be pretty decent.
Pants too tight, wheels so bright!
Miller

I don't have tons of money for this. Stayin kinda cheap. How can you tell what the compound is?