SVT timing belt-IMPORTANT!!

For your Ford Focus related discussion
Steve@Tasca
Midget

I started tearing into mine this morning at 89k and found this,

After seeing what mine looks like at 89k I would highly suggest changing these out at intervals less than 90k.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
Y2k
At Least It's Boosted..

wow playing with fire right there...
TQ is addictive
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Yep, I'm glad I didn't put it off any longer.

It's done, running and no VCT CEL :)

Big thanks to Dave aka FocusMech.73155 for his expert assistance, I'm sure I could have managed it by myself but it was nice having someone around that had experience with the timing belt on a car with VCT.

Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

Damn, definately time to change it!

Wowza! Good to hear you guys got it all done :)

How long you tackle it in?
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
PBZX3

It's strange that it was that far gone at 89k. I replaced one on my sons 01 ZX3 at 120k and it still looked fine. My 01 ZX3 runs without the timing belt cover so I can look at that one any time the hoods open. It now has just under 120k and still looks good too. I wonder what the difference is between the SVT and ZX3 blets. I would have thought they were the same?
Paul

Red 2001 ZX3 I/H/E, UDP and FR2's, KW Variant 1, kids car
Red 2005 ZX3 FSW Stage 2 Turbo, FSW Stealth Exhaust, Steeda springs, KYB AGX, 3dCarbon body, Custom leather.
Green 2000 Windstar, Stock, Wifes car/vacation vehicle
o2designs
Making skinny jeans look baggy since 2009
Car: Bone Stock Focuseses

I have around 83,000 on my wagon and it needs the belt...looks just like Steve's.
Pants too tight, wheels so bright!
Steve@Tasca
Midget

The SVT and Zetec use the same belt, The only difference is a different tensioner.

I suppose the belt in an SVT might see more abuse than a standard Zetec due to the fact that the SVT has a factory redline of 7200 rpm.

From pulling it into the garage to firing it up was about 2 1/2-3 hours I suppose and that includes me having to put it back up on stands to change oil after I set it down the first time because I forgot to change it while it was up in the air the first time. :?

zurno
Got any WoW pron?
Car: ZX4x4

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:The SVT and Zetec use the same belt, The only difference is a different tensioner.

I suppose the belt in an SVT might see more abuse than a standard Zetec due to the fact that the SVT has a factory redline of 7200 rpm.

From pulling it into the garage to firing it up was about 2 1/2-3 hours I suppose and that includes me having to put it back up on stands to change oil after I set it down the first time because I forgot to change it while it was up in the air the first time. :?

I go to the limiter on every shift on my ZX3. How the hell is this thing still running?

got like 146k on this thing, maybe I should go check that belt sometime
Steve@Tasca
Midget

zurno wrote:
FORDSVTPARTS wrote:The SVT and Zetec use the same belt, The only difference is a different tensioner.

I go to the limiter on every shift on my ZX3. How the hell is this thing still running?

Remind me to never buy a car from you.

ClOckwOrkSVT

timing chains FTW. lol
MNiceGuy
Car: 2005 Pitch Black ZX5

FORDSVTPARTS wrote:
zurno wrote:

Remind me to never buy a car from you.

+1 :)

You could just put a spin on it. 146,000 "enthusiastically applied" miles.

Are the Zetecs interference engines?
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

No the Zetecs are not interference engines
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Standard Zetecs are non-interference.

SVT's are interference so if the belt slips or fails you get a bunch of smashed valves.

02svtfocus
Car: 2002 sonic blue SVTF

I had taken my timing cover off a few days ago and saw the exact same thing as this. I was debating on grabbing one when i was up there getting the mach lip and bezel but I can get a gates kit for 60 bucks at my PT job at parts plus. prolly gunna hit this up within a week. all-data says its like a 3.5 hours job so you did it pretty fast. Was there anything special you needed other then a camshaft holder to lock the cams down so you dont jump the timing??
What I drive: 2002 Sonic blue SVT Focus
Current Mod's:MSD 8.5mm wires & coil pack, CFM DSI lever, Denso Iridium plugs, Gutted catalytic converter
Future Mod's:Header wrap, 30% tint
Steve@Tasca
Midget

02svtfocus wrote:I had taken my timing cover off a few days ago and saw the exact same thing as this. I was debating on grabbing one when i was up there getting the mach lip and bezel but I can get a gates kit for 60 bucks at my PT job at parts plus. prolly gunna hit this up within a week. all-data says its like a 3.5 hours job so you did it pretty fast. Was there anything special you needed other then a camshaft holder to lock the cams down so you dont jump the timing??
You'll need Torx bits and the timing tools but other than that just parts.

Timing belt, timing tensioner, idler and valve cover gasket, water pump isn't a horrible idea either as apparently mines leaking a bit but I didn't have a pump handy and I couldn't afford to run out and buy one yesterday.