205/40 - 17 feedback

For your Ford Focus related discussion
skhighlighn

Hey guys - I have enough $ to get some new tires for the remainder of summer. I've been eyeing up some of the cheaper z rated tires because they'll be summer use only, and occasionally in the rain. I had prada spec IIs on my 18s i used to have - they seemed like good stuff, but I'm looking at some kuhmos and falkens right now. My dad recommended a cheap goodyear F1 that he just put on his mustang for summer performance ... not sure if I want to shell out the extra $$$ for that. I'll be getting them either tomorrow or Sunday, so your input is greatly appreciated.

Best,

K
KF / 01 twilight blue zx3 / http://www.kylefletcher.com
skhighlighn

also I'm open to a 205/45-17 if possible - will those perform as well and absorb bumps a little better? that would be nice since i'll be getting new struts/dampers soon as well. specifically - does anyone know what tires nils has (nils if you read this what kind of tires do you have) they seemed pretty tall but looked real good. took up enough of the wheel well and had some pretty aggressive tread.

That's all for now folks. Cheers!
grocerygetter
Car: 2006 Infra Red X3

I'm riding on Kuhmo ASX 205/45-17's and love them, responsive and not a harsh ride due to a bit more side wall. Second summer on them, they only get summer use I have my stockers, siped, for winter use.

B
Looking to homebrew Supercharge my car, me and Corky Bell.
Louis Zerr
and so it lives.

I run 215/40/17 A little extra side wall never hurts. I have run that size for about 4 1/2 years and my rims are still round. As far as tires, it takes at least a week to get the ones i like, i have no suggestions if you are looking for off the shelf.
Slower than your stock focus.
skhighlighn

Louis Zerr wrote:I run 215/40/17 A little extra side wall never hurts. I have run that size for about 4 1/2 years and my rims are still round. As far as tires, it takes at least a week to get the ones i like, i have no suggestions if you are looking for off the shelf.
i could definitely wait, i just have time and excitement to get them installed. there's a bunch of tire places down here in Chicago so I feel like I have pretty good access to a variety of tires. Recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Louis Zerr
and so it lives.

In that case for a summer tire i like these.
Falken Azenis RT-615
Farmer
Car: 2003 Grey ZX3

I have had good luck running the hankook K104 on my mustang and I have them on my RS rims for my focus.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/t ... .asp?pid=9

I can get the K104 in the 205/45zr17 for $ 80.25 ea
and the 215/40zr17 $ 92.25 ea

-Miles
Last edited by Farmer on Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
grocerygetter

Louis Zerr wrote:In that case for a summer tire i like these.
Falken Azenis RT-615
How are those for wet traction? I know they are pretty soft with a wear rating of 200 so they won't last real long but they would certainly be lots of fun! I think Zurno is running a set on his car for autocrossing and likes them.

B
o2designs
Making skinny jeans look baggy since 2009
Car: Bone Stock Focuseses

grocerygetter wrote:
Louis Zerr wrote:In that case for a summer tire i like these.
Falken Azenis RT-615
How are those for wet traction? I know they are pretty soft with a wear rating of 200 so they won't last real long but they would certainly be lots of fun! I think Zurno is running a set on his car for autocrossing and likes them.

B
He runs them daily. And I believe Rod also as been running them daily as well. I'd recommend a set of the Azenis in a 205/45 if they make them. If not, then a 215/45. Great summer tire, and pretty cheap for the performance, compared to the overpriced Goodyears...
Pants too tight, wheels so bright!
Louis Zerr
and so it lives.

I run them daily and they are more than adequate in the rain (it really has surprised me). I was caught in the rain on Wednesday and my car did fine (except when i nailed it coming out of a corner, but it was controllable).
o2designs
Making skinny jeans look baggy since 2009
Car: Bone Stock Focuseses

I'd also recommend a set of these...
These are what I run on Chromie for daily tires. Same size and tread model...AWESOME tires. Not as good in dry as the Azenis, but these have amazing wet traction. I love em. Just wish they were alittle cheaper, and make a better size in 18s, or I would be running them on my 18's as well...
Pants too tight, wheels so bright!
Erik
Car: 2002 Ford Focus ZTS

I'm also running RT-615s and they are great. (225/50 R16)

I commute ~50 miles a day so I'm thinking of swapping out to something else and saving these for autocross, but so far they seem to be wearing decently.

You would definitely want to get dedicated winter tires if you went with the 615s.
skhighlighn

how long do azenis last? they seems like they perform great ... but i'd like something to hold up for a while as well. they're not a super soft rubber then goes away real quick ... are they?
Deagle50ae

I second the recomendation for the Kumho Ecsta ASX's.
I just bought a set of 215/45/17's from Discount tire. final out of pocket was $400 w/ lifetime balancing, old tire desposal, and mounting. tires were $78/peice. on their website they show at $120/ea

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTi ... t=&rf=true

so far I've had no complaints about them aside from REALLLY loud burnouts/tire spinning. I would describe my driving as suicidal. I'm deffinitely not nice to tires but these haven't let loose on me once yet around a tight corner, but I guess I will really put them to the test when I get front and rear sway bars.
I wear my sunglasses at night.
grocerygetter

o2designs wrote:I'd also recommend a set of these...
These are what I run on Chromie for daily tires. Same size and tread model...AWESOME tires. Not as good in dry as the Azenis, but these have amazing wet traction. I love em. Just wish they were alittle cheaper, and make a better size in 18s, or I would be running them on my 18's as well...
Hmm.... missing something here?

Oh I get it you're pointing at the tires except since this isn't TV we can't see them :lol: :lol: :lol:

B