3.5" pothole = 1 owned rim

Non Focus discussion. Pretty much other cars and off topic stuff.
trahma
has a blownup bomb
Car: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

Well Wednesday night on my way home from work at 1:30 I hit a pothole. Not just any pothole, a bigass pothole that nearly cracked my rim. I've hit potholes before so when I hit this one, I didn't think too much of it. Little did I know looking at my car at work the next day would reveal the wreckage. The tire was still inflated (and no leakage) but the gash hurts to look at. I managed to drive home (making a grand total of about 80 miles on this wheel) and swapped the stockers back on. (thanks to Louis Zerr for the tires!)

Well I'm at a point now where I'm not sure what to do. For $138 Precision Wheels (www.precisionwheels.com) will fix my wheel and guarantee it for 5 years. (longer than I'll probably have the rims). If I shop around, I can probably pick up a new rim for around $175.

The wheels are 30lbs a piece which is way heavier than I had assumed when I purchased them and I'd like to be in the 16"-17" range. I'm contemplating fixing the rim, then selling the wheels to put the money towards a new set. I'll miss the comments I'm getting now and I love the look of the wheels, being on my stock 16"'s just makes my car seem more agile, which since I plan to autox next summer, will be an awesome thing.

I can still just keep my stock 16"'s I suppose so I'm not sure what to do and I'm starting to hit a stream of conciousness level of typing. Thus I'm going to get to sleep so I can get to Autovations tomorrow.

Thoughts, comments?
trahma
has a blownup bomb

almost forgot, I threw together a couple photoshops of wheels I'd like to have. Unfortunately I don't know if like would fit into my budget...

SSR Comps

O.Z. Chrono Evolutions (comes stock on the Focus RS)
CleanZX3
Really CleanZX4
Car: 07 ST S.A.P.

I had my other rims fixed at Precision, they did a good job. I like the way your rims look, so I think you should just fix the one. Plus those other rims are mucho $$$$$.
07 ST S.A.P.
Dead10

If you cant get a picture of the pothole bring it to the city and make them pay for fixing the rim or a new one..

Dead10
trahma
has a blownup bomb

Dead10 wrote: If you cant get a picture of the pothole bring it to the city and make them pay for fixing the rim or a new one..

Dead10

Is it common for them to pay for things like that? I can't imagine it's fair for a portion of everyone's taxes should pay for my wheel. I also think part of my taxes should pay to fix potholes like that. Ugh...
Dead10

trahma wrote: Is it common for them to pay for things like that? I can't imagine it's fair for a portion of everyone's taxes should pay for my wheel. I also think part of my taxes should pay to fix potholes like that. Ugh...

From my impression yes its common. Hey there a alot of things our taxes pay for that is unfair thats life. You are correct we pay for the roads with taxes and potholes should be fixed!

I have never dont this my self. I would have if i knew about it three years ago when one of my 18" turned into a D!

Dead10
Focal_Nutz

My thoughts and prayers go out to your rim....So sorry....I have hit some bumps on my rims, matter of fact they need to be redone, as far as scratches go, I knew that when I got White rims on they would be hard to keep clean.....But God Damn does it suck to clean constantly....I am sorry though.....I am only thankful by my reckless ass hasn't fucked up my rims yet :lol: