I'm Not Going To Pay It

For your Ford Focus related discussion
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

I stopped at the local BP station a week or so ago to fill up the SVTF with 93 octane, and was miffed to see that premium was 40¢ per gallon more than regular. Usually it's 30¢ per gallon more (used to be 20¢ per gallon more). I stopped there again recently, and premium was back to 30¢ per gallon more. I don't like it, but I can live with it at 30¢ per gallon more.
Some stations routinely charge outrageous sums for premium (50¢ per gallon or more). I don't know who shops at there places, but my guess is that they don't move a lot of premium.
Yesterday it was back up to 40¢ per gallon more. I drove across the street to Clark and filled up there (92 octane, 20¢ per gallon cheaper).
I don't know why I am loyal to BP. Maybe it's the fact that they dumped a kajillion gallons of crude in the Gulf.:( I'm not convinced their gas works any better, or is any better for my car.
Anyway, I'm not going to pay this outrageous price for premium. Ninety percent of the time I don't need it anyway, and the other ten percent Clark works just fine. I hate premium gas pricing. I'm tempted to buy a 4.6, 3V Mustang and get 300HP from regular gas.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
bflesher

What about a tune and switching to E85? Not sure if it is still cheap or not but am assuming it is.
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

bflesher wrote:What about a tune and switching to E85? Not sure if it is still cheap or not but am assuming it is.
The pump, lines, and injectors would also likely need to be switched, so that would be a pricey switch....
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

Yeah, I thought of a tune in the past - but not E85. Anyway, with the cost of a Predator and all, plus the complexity of tuning an SVTF, the cost/benefit analysis didn't allow it. And this late in the game, I'm not going to do it.
I wish there was a system that worked something like this:
- Two tanks: one large, for regular gas; one small, for premium.
- Car runs on regular, until throttle demand (or some such) calls for premium
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

Pappy wrote:
bflesher wrote:What about a tune and switching to E85? Not sure if it is still cheap or not but am assuming it is.
The pump, lines, and injectors would also likely need to be switched, so that would be a pricey switch....
Also, I don't know of any tunes that are for E85 with a blower :?
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

Pappy wrote:

:lol:
Funny guy.

Stock pump, stock lines ... going on 5 years now.
Don't believe internet lore.

FWIW, I pay ~$2.60/gallon. On average $1.00 - $0.80 less than Regular Unleaded.

And tuning for it is a cakewalk.
--John
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

I was gonna say. ...your stock stuff is fine to run corn juice. The big thing is that you have to run more volume than gasoline. So in the grand scheam of things your not saving a whole lot. Hope you aint drivin that thing in the cold... with out a fuel heater it may struggle to start. As a perf fuel its fantastic. I wish we would switch to switch grass or i dont know use the entire corn plant.
Image wink wink.....bitches
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

It's in the works, you know that.

Funny thing is when I switched the new car to Corn, it didn't have a single issue starting in winter. In fact you'd never know it was on booze. I don't know what I did different in the tune but it started right away every key turn. The old car does have trouble in the cold though. I did get it better, and it's not about adding fuel like the net claims. It's about getting ignition timing correct.
--John
hermitmaster
Car: 2012 Infiniti G37x

I ran 89 octane on a regular basis for quite a long time with no issues whatsoever. I'm not sure if your tune is too aggressive for that though. At this point I kinda miss my 28 mpg on premium, the G37 only gets 22 mpg on average.