Crapola From WIX????

For your Ford Focus related discussion
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

I use WIX filters exclusively, 'cause they have an excellent reputation, and I can get them for a good price. In December, I opened a new air filter for my SVTF, and found the following:
I contacted WIX via their website (mid December), received an automatic acknowledgement email, and didn't hear squat from them after that.
I called them today, and then re-emailed the photo. Their response? "The filter is not defective, and will not restrict your air flow". What?!?! Really?!?! I explained that I have a supercharged car, and do not want any air flow restrictions. But the lady dug in her heels, and insisted that the filter is fine.
I told her that I expect superb quality from WIX. If I wanted this level of quality, I'd buy Wal-Mart brand.
Your opinion? Is this junk, or what?
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
Pappy
have you seen my boxers?
Car: 09 Mustang GT, 14 Focus

A K&N wouldn't look like that..... Maybe it's time to start expanding your horizons....

That looks like shit.
Prestige WorldWide The First Word In Entertainment

______________Boats and Ho's!_____________
Doc
Car: to many to list

I don't have a supercharger so to me it would be just fine. I doubt the restriction is very much, but I certainly see your point.
Why didn't you just take it back where you got it from and get one without the extra flash on it?
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

A k and n filter is designed for sever dirt. It actualy works better clogged with dirt. That paper element will work just fine. The fact that the foam is a tad heavy all over the filter. But the dumb skirt on the phone is not a expert she is just vomiting out what she is told. I wouldnt wory about that bit of foam, i mean really whats it gonna cost ya a few horse power? You honastly think youll actually feal the differance? Nope prolly not. Id run it, you have it documented and the response from them. If your engine eats a part of the filter take em to court and get your charger and engine replaced. 8)
Image wink wink.....bitches
FocusMech.73155
Car: '07 Focus ST (supertight)

The volume of airflow into your intake manifold with the supercharger is drastically limited the the size of your throttle body. I am not and engineer but I highly doubt that small amount of foam covering that corner will effect airflow. I am sure there is a some sort of formula you could find for air density, flow rate, surface of airfilter, and amount of suck from supercharger. I like WIX also. Does it stink that that one corner is covered? yes. Do I think it will effect anything? no
Steve@Tasca
Midget

Switch to Motorcraft filters.
Tasca Auto Group- Employee pricing on all parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocator/i ... eid=213668

1-800-598-1484 or spowell@tasca.com
FocusMech.73155

Also an addition to my previous post. K&N and vehicles that use a MAF don't mix too well. The oils from the filter can coat the hotwire in the MAF and cause false readings which will make the car run poorly
focinite

FocusMech.73155 wrote:Also an addition to my previous post. K&N and vehicles that use a MAF don't mix too well. The oils from the filter can coat the hotwire in the MAF and cause false readings which will make the car run poorly
Listen to this guy. Hes going places!!! I had a kia tech tell my store manager that we failed to use high mileage oil in a car. He asked did you do a analysits? The kia serv mang said yeah my tech said it dont feel like high mileage. So i dont ever remember taking a oil texture class, did you? If not both you and i need to go back to school. :lol: it dont feel like hi my. See jim even people that are paid to know about this ish, dont know ish about ish!
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FocusMech.73155 wrote:The volume of airflow into your intake manifold with the supercharger is drastically limited the the size of your throttle body. I am not and engineer but I highly doubt that small amount of foam covering that corner will effect airflow. I am sure there is a some sort of formula you could find for air density, flow rate, surface of airfilter, and amount of suck from supercharger. I like WIX also. Does it stink that that one corner is covered? yes. Do I think it will effect anything? no
A cupla things to consider:
1) If you look closer, you will notice that he orange 'rubber' intrudes into the pleated media on all four sides.
2) I did some calculations, and about 17% of the surface area is lost due to this intrusion.
To me, there's no doubt that this will affect performance. I may not feel it in the seat of my pants when I accelerate, but think about the loss of power and loss of mileage over a 15,000 mile interval.
If you were going to run a foot race, do you think your performance would be affected if you were forced to wear a device that cut your air intake by 17%? You bet it would!
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
HotRodWagon
Cajun Mafia
Car: 01 Street Wagon/02 ZTW

Stuff happens. As much as manufacturing is an automated art, stuff still happens. So you got a filter that obviously lacks the standard quality expected from experience. Return it and get another one. Problem solved.
...always in focus...
...costra nostra tobasco
focinite

HotRodWagon wrote:Stuff happens. As much as manufacturing is an automated art, stuff still happens. So you got a filter that obviously lacks the standard quality expected from experience. Return it and get another one. Problem solved.
yep check.
focinite

oldoutboardjim wrote:
FocusMech.73155 wrote:The volume of airflow into your intake manifold with the supercharger is drastically limited the the size of your throttle body. I am not and engineer but I highly doubt that small amount of foam covering that corner will effect airflow. I am sure there is a some sort of formula you could find for air density, flow rate, surface of airfilter, and amount of suck from supercharger. I like WIX also. Does it stink that that one corner is covered? yes. Do I think it will effect anything? no
1) If you look closer, you will notice that he orange 'rubber' intrudes into the pleated media on all four sides.
2) I did some calculations, and about 17% of the surface area is lost due to this intrusion.
To me, there's no doubt that this will affect performance. I may not feel it in the seat of my pants when I accelerate, but think about the loss of power and loss of mileage over a 15,000 mile interval.
If you were going to run a foot race, do you think your performance would be affected if you were forced to wear a device that cut your air intake by 17%? You bet it would!
[/
size]

first. If you go fiffteen thou on a oil change you are using syn oil? Yes? Any oil consumtion issues there? I ran into this using royal purple. I found out that it was washing the pistion bore in esseness polishing the surface so the oil rings wouldnt seal so good. I recommend what ford says to use. So your filter issue may effect your perf more than you relise. 8)
FocusMech.73155

focinite wrote:
oldoutboardjim wrote:
[/
size]

first. If you go fiffteen thou on a oil change you are using syn oil? Yes? Any oil consumtion issues there? I ran into this using royal purple. I found out that it was washing the pistion bore in esseness polishing the surface so the oil rings wouldnt seal so good. I recommend what ford says to use. So your filter issue may effect your perf more than you relise. 8)

What??? we are talking about airfilter.....not oil filter.....
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon

FocusMech.73155 wrote:first. If you go fiffteen thou on a oil change you are using syn oil? Yes? Any oil consumtion issues there? I ran into this using royal purple. I found out that it was washing the pistion bore in esseness polishing the surface so the oil rings wouldnt seal so good. I recommend what ford says to use. So your filter issue may effect your perf more than you relise. 8)
focinite wrote:What??? we are talking about airfilter.....not oil filter.....
Bingo. I change AIR filters every 15k. Oil (& filter) changed every 4k, which is probably too frequent, based on oil analysis (don't forget I live in the Boonies, where the air is clean and the drives are long). And as long as you asked, my oil consumption is zero.
But this thread is about my AIR filter.
"Old Guy's" SVT:
Build #879 of 1,978
FocusMech.73155

oldoutboardjim wrote:
FocusMech.73155 wrote:first. If you go fiffteen thou on a oil change you are using syn oil? Yes? Any oil consumtion issues there? I ran into this using royal purple. I found out that it was washing the pistion bore in esseness polishing the surface so the oil rings wouldnt seal so good. I recommend what ford says to use. So your filter issue may effect your perf more than you relise. 8)
focinite wrote:What??? we are talking about airfilter.....not oil filter.....
Bingo. I change AIR filters every 15k. Oil (& filter) changed every 4k, which is probably too frequent, based on oil analysis (don't forget I live in the Boonies, where the air is clean and the drives are long). And as long as you asked, my oil consumption is zero.
But this thread is about my AIR filter.
You got our quotes backwards ;) but thats ok.