Crapola From WIX????

For your Ford Focus related discussion
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

I'm on the K&N (style) I bought back in 2001 ...

I'm sensing paranoia and wasted money. Least it ain't my money (debt).
--John
focinite
Master of Phonemic orthography
Car: black cvp vroom vroom

Sorry jim i managed to side track myself and then get lost in my own confusion. 8) im out of this one.... i wll manage to insert my foot into one of my orafices sooner or later :lol:
Image wink wink.....bitches
iminhell
Car: '00 & '01 ZX3's

You mean to tell me you have one that hasn't bee violated?
:shock:

Jim,
How did you figure surface area?
By your math I'm figuring you just went measured L*W. That is wrong.
With a pleated filter you have to figure area is 3D; measure the depth of the pleat times length times the number of pleats. That gives you filtering area.
The Silicon by that method doesn't cover 17%. Probably more like 1%, which I'd imagine is below tolerance.

Still doesn't make thing right though. A good company would have said, 'that one must have slipped through the final inspection process. You're more than welcome to return it to the purchase location and exchange it for a correctly molded filter'. The fact they didn't only serves to show that they are loosening their standards, and neglecting mold maintenance.
--John
oldoutboardjim
Resident curmudgeon
Car: 04 CD Silver SVTF 3-door

iminhell wrote:You mean to tell me you have one that hasn't bee violated?
:shock:

Jim,
How did you figure surface area?
By your math I'm figuring you just went measured L*W. That is wrong.
With a pleated filter you have to figure area is 3D; measure the depth of the pleat times length times the number of pleats. That gives you filtering area.
The Silicon by that method doesn't cover 17%. Probably more like 1%, which I'd imagine is below tolerance.

Still doesn't make thing right though. A good company would have said, 'that one must have slipped through the final inspection process. You're more than welcome to return it to the purchase location and exchange it for a correctly molded filter'. The fact they didn't only serves to show that they are loosening their standards, and neglecting mold maintenance.
You're correct, I simply did length x width, and here's why. The orange rubber actually seeped through the media, and as a result, the overall surface area (3 dimensional) was reduced proportionally to the 2 dimensional analysis.
I am hugely disappointed with WIX, but it may just be the person that I talked to on the phone (not a 1st-level grunt, but someone higher up the food chain). They ended up sending the area rep from Minneapolis to Osceola to get the bad filters (I had two), rather than simply saying, "I see what you mean. We'll be glad to send you replacements".
"Old Guy's" SVT:
2004 CD Silver 3-door w/blue interior (one of 244 in that color scheme in 2004)
Build #879 of 1,978
Mods: JRSC+BBK; C-F-M Rear Engine Mount; FSWERKS Stealth Exhaust
bflesher

Diddo the K&N purchased in 02, no issues. Just clean here and there.